Author Topic: Windows Defender on Vista Ultimate  (Read 5888 times)

Vale2

Windows Defender on Vista Ultimate
« on: December 21, 2007, 03:34:32 PM »
I was trying to find a posting for this topic but system errors were constant on the forum website, and I am in need of assistance right away here !!!  So here goes, and I hope that some of the forum members will be able to assists.
I'm in a bit of a tight spot right now.  Am cleaning up a friends computer (Vista Ultimate 64Bit): Removed AVG, and want to install avast! Home and ZA Free.  What I am not sure of is avast! being compatible will Windows Defender (installed on Vista Ultimate). And is Wins Defender compatible with ZA.  Finally, I have been trying to find were I can set allowance on Wins Defender to allow avast! if necessary !! 
I apologize if this has already been addressed in the forum but as I mentioned at the start, all my searches returned an error within the forum, and I really need the info promptly.
Thanks.

DukeNukem

Re: Windows Defender on Vista Ultimate
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 04:57:43 PM »
Avast works fine with windows def under vista.

I have never used ZA in vista, but i believe it should also work fine.

Vale2

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 05:01:56 PM »
ok, thanks.  i've kept on searching the net and havent found anything conflicting.  but i am wondering if windows defender should be turn off during installation of both avast! home and ZA free.(?)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 05:19:57 PM »
No requirement for that, but be advised ZA does slow down Vista.  As do all firewalls that currently are alleged to be Viista compatible   

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 05:26:59 PM »
Well I generally don't turn avast of to install other applications, so I don't see why you should turn of another program of to install avast. Exceptions to this are few and I would wonder why a program wanted me to turn of protection at a time when it would be considered most appropriate installation.

One thing about windows defender is (I don't use it), I believe it has a function to monitor/block new startup entries. avast besides the services has one startup entry and that is for ashDisp.exe the avast tray icons and interface to the program settings and on-access providers, don't let it be blocked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 06:34:02 PM »
but i am wondering if windows defender should be turn off during installation of both avast! home and ZA free.(?)
No. They're compatible. I mean, the three ones: avast, ZA and Windows Defender.
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:53:58 PM »
Windows Defender is not a third party application. It is built into Windows OS, so it must be compatible with other security software, otherwise MS would be in big trouble with a lot of lawyers all around the World. Windows Defender never complained about any security application I have installed here.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:17:04 PM »
It isn't built into my windows OS, ;D (XP Pro) and that is most certainly the way it is staying.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 10:21:15 PM »
Sure, but she was asking about vista Ultimate and WD comes along with the OS.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Rafel

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 10:56:01 PM »
Do you like WD, i use CBOClean, do i need WD? what do u think??
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 01:23:40 AM by Rafel »

Vale2

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 01:19:39 AM »
Well essexboy,DavidR,Tech, & Rafel thank you all for your input.  After some hours, (due to Vista being slow), I installed all that was mentioned with only a few hiccups (trojan horse!!!!!!!)  found from avast!(will get to those in another post!).  Everything is running well together (keeping my fingers crossed). It has been an experience using Vista, one that I dont think I want to repeat!!  Thanks again for the input.  Trust that you will all be there, again(!) when I need you !!  By the way, I was aware that Windows Defender was part of Vista OS but I use Wins XP and therefore Defender is pretty much Greek to me !!  It auto updated itself with ZA and avast!  Enjoy your week end. And Thanks again. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 01:14:14 PM »
Trust that you will all be there, again(!) when I need you !!
Yes, we will... ;)
The best things in life are free.