Author Topic: Avast network scan finding problems on network that was previously fine  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
I did a network scan on the same network i've had for years (Ethernet cable from laptop to router and ethernet cable from router to modem, with my laptop's wi-fi turned off) that the Avast network scan has previously found no issues with. Now it's finding one issue on the Network portion of the scan (see attached) and that the "Device is accessible from the internet." I checked all of my router settings and they're the same as before, nothing has been changed. All the standard security options are on. My wireless network is password protected with WPA2 security.

The only thing I can think of that's changed is that my internet has been having issues connection and speed wise over the last couple of days (with a technician coming by to just switch the head on the coaxial), but I don't think that would have anything to do with my network.

Does anyone know what could have happened or is this a glitch with Avast?

EDIT: By the way, I'm using Windows 10 Version 22H2, Build 19045.2251
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 04:29:43 AM by Dinobot2 »

Offline goemon01

Re: Avast network scan finding problems on network that was previously fine
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 05:04:01 AM »
It can be related with your "Windows Firewall" or System Protection/Remote settings, please check these.

You can review also your "Modem/Router" firewall status and rules, port forwarding etc...

I don't get why Avast warn you about that? Everybody needs to allow some inbound/outbound connections over the ports,
or set some port forwarding rules etc...

I'm assuming your network is protected (with Firewall) and only allowed connections can access it right?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 05:14:55 AM by goemon01 »

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 05:44:43 AM »
It can be related with your "Windows Firewall" or System Protection/Remote settings, please check these.

Both settings are the same as yours just in Windows 10 (though I have my network as a public network so my laptop isn't discoverable).

I'm assuming your network is protected (with Firewall) and only allowed connections can access it right?

Correct.

I restarted my computer and did a power cycle on my router and modem, and when I do basic Network Scan I get "No problems found" (First image). but when I do it again with "scan all devices" setting on, It shows as my computer being unsecured/accessible from the internet (second image). I get the same results for each when I go back and forth. I get the same result whether i'm plugged into the router or running on wifi. I thought maybe this is just Avast's way of trying to sell me their firewall or VPN, but I ran the same thing on my old laptop with Avast up-to-date and It shows a clean bill of health, so I don't know why i'm getting conflicting results depending on whether I scan the individual devices or not.

I saw the error when scanning from my wi-fi and i'm getting HNS-SELF-WAN-ACCESS-IPV6, but the only sources that say anything about this are Avast sources with others saying "ignore, it's Avast trying to push products onto you" but then again, the aforementioned scan on my old laptop.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 03:35:20 AM by Dinobot2 »

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 06:02:57 AM »
I disabled and re-enabled the IPV6 assignment settings on my router, and tried this again, and I get both results literally three minutes apart without changing anything (see attached). The same thing happened after I do a basic scan, and then two device scans back-to-back.

I also checked the diagnostic tools for this error from this link, and everything was already set to how Avast recommends it.

So, lol, I guess. I don't even know anymore. All my router settings are good and my Windows firewall is on and good, so can I chalk this up to Avast being stupid?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 01:27:22 AM by Dinobot2 »

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 03:34:21 AM »
Another update.

I was still getting both scan results on both types of scans (the basic one and device specific one, as explained) with no consistency. I'll get one good result, one bad result, three good results, two bad, etc. So, I installed the new update (22.11) to see if that made any changes. It didn't. I did a complete uninstall (using the Avast uninstall/clear tool) and then reinstalled. Restarted a bunch of times in between all of this, and getting the same result.

Furthermore, I checked my Windows Firewall advanced settings, and the default setting where Inbound connections that don't match a rule are blocked setting is still on, and the only enabled rule that has any of the ports Avast focuses on at this link is one for File and Printer Sharing (SMB-In), but my Network Profile on Windows is set to Public and that rule is only enabled for Private (since setting it to Public hides your computer from others on the same network), so I'm assuming this should protect me against any issues that Avast is "concerned" about.

Even though the Network scanner wasn't finding issues with my router, I still did all the solutions Avast recommends in the above link, and did my due diligence and updated my Wifi and Router Admin passwords (to just use random alphanumeric characters for both).

I know that's a lot there, but I wanted to be thorough. If anyone has any insight into this, or if you currently have or have had the same issue, It'd be great to read. I feel like I did everything short of advanced port scanning or settings which I know next to nothing about and don't want to tamper with as a relative novice.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 03:45:22 AM by Dinobot2 »