Author Topic: detectportal.firefox.com, URL:Maldvertising pop up, false positive?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline kheb

Hi. Today after booting up the laptop I got the message in the screenshot (see attachment) from Avast antivirus. Can you help me determine whether it is a false positive? I opened firefox once, I had no connection to the internet (website not found errors), then closed firefox, opened it again and then the message popped up.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: detectportal.firefox.com, URL:Maldvertising pop up, false positive?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 12:45:15 AM »
Using the link given in the avast alert, I tried that and it redirected to hXXps://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/captive-portal without issue (see attached image).  Note I have intentionally broken the link so it isn't active.

I have no idea why Firefox (firefox.exe, the executable responsible for the connection) would go there, but my manual attempt got through without issue.  That said see the lower highlighted text in my screenshot, it could have been a legitimate connection.

Not I'm also not using Avast One, but Avast Antivirus Free, but I doubt that should differ as far as detections are concerned (other than a different Alert Screen).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security