Author Topic: Hard disk usage 100% when starting the PC  (Read 14349 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Hard disk usage 100% when starting the PC
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2023, 05:17:42 PM »
It isn't for me as such (an Avast User, like you) but for the Avast Team to analyse.

I have tried to contact jan.svoboda to get back to the topic (being a Saturday it might be a couple of days).

LoooL okkk i though you were member of Avast Team :p

No problem, only an Avast user that has been using Avast for over 19 years :)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Krzysztof40

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2023, 01:55:00 PM »
Its been happening for years so i dont think thats a bug, it's probably an Avast feature. Constantly scanning everything. This is really annoying. Everytime i'm starting my PC 100% HDD usage for a few minutes caused by Avast, everytime i'm starting to download a game from Steam 100% HDD usage for a few minutes caused by Avast, evertime im uninstaling a game from Steam 100% HDD usage for a few minutes caused by Avast. Sometimes it's even happening right after closing the game. It's ridiculous.

On a side note: since yesterday Avast is even blocking me from accessing Steam on my internet browser thanks to its Web/Mail Shield saying that certificate is outdated or something.

Offline _Mamide_

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2023, 11:24:37 AM »
Its been happening for years so i dont think thats a bug, it's probably an Avast feature

Years ???? no man i have avast since 10 years and never have this problem. i think this problem appears in 2022.

it seems you have a specific problem in your pc, our problem only appears when AvastSVC.exe starts (it happens even when all shields are off).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2023, 12:45:21 PM »
@  _Mamide_
It isn't for me as such (an Avast User, like you) but for the Avast Team to analyse.

I have tried to contact jan.svoboda to get back to the topic (being a Saturday it might be a couple of days).

I got a response from Jan and he has informed the team who solves performance problems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2023, 02:17:56 PM »
@  _Mamide_

I got a response from Jan and he has informed the team who solves performance problems.

Top David R :) ;)
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline _Mamide_

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2023, 03:30:32 PM »

Thanks man  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2023, 05:57:46 PM »

Thanks man  ;)

You're welcome, hopefully it brings a positive outcome.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2023, 06:30:08 PM »

Thanks man  ;)

You're welcome, hopefully it brings a positive outcome.
+1

Offline jaroslav.nix

• Avast team
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2023, 07:53:06 PM »
Hello,
thank you very much (Nunzio77 a _Mamide_) for providing performance logs. The issue seems to be connected to the applying the VPS update. Unfortunately we don't see the exact reason, why is this happening in the performance logs due to some in product optimizations. I would like to kindly ask you for providing one more performance log with modified settings of AV application.

Please turn off the Avast Self-Defense in UI settings (troubleshooting section).

The please add DWORD registry value "DisableCPUFeatures" to this registry path "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Avast Software\Avast\properties\settings\Debug]", and set the value to 00001000 (HEX).
You can also try to import  the attached registry key file, rename the file "disable_opt.txt" to "disable_opt.reg" (change the file extension from TXT to REG) and press enter on a file and allow the importing to windows registry settings.

Now you can re-enable the Avast Self-Defense and then (this is important) please reboot the PC.

After the PC reboot please wait or reproduce the issue and create the new performance recording, either by xperf command or by launching the recording from UI settings (troubleshooting section).

Please let us know after you upload the recording or let us know where you've uploaded the performance log.

We are very sorry for these kind of troubles and thank you very much for helping us to localize this issue. This is very appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2023, 09:10:13 PM »
Hello,
thank you very much (Nunzio77 a _Mamide_) for providing performance logs. The issue seems to be connected to the applying the VPS update. Unfortunately we don't see the exact reason, why is this happening in the performance logs due to some in product optimizations. I would like to kindly ask you for providing one more performance log with modified settings of AV application.

Please turn off the Avast Self-Defense in UI settings (troubleshooting section).

The please add DWORD registry value "DisableCPUFeatures" to this registry path "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Avast Software\Avast\properties\settings\Debug]", and set the value to 00001000 (HEX).
You can also try to import  the attached registry key file, rename the file "disable_opt.txt" to "disable_opt.reg" (change the file extension from TXT to REG) and press enter on a file and allow the importing to windows registry settings.

Now you can re-enable the Avast Self-Defense and then (this is important) please reboot the PC.

After the PC reboot please wait or reproduce the issue and create the new performance recording, either by xperf command or by launching the recording from UI settings (troubleshooting section).

Please let us know after you upload the recording or let us know where you've uploaded the performance log.

We are very sorry for these kind of troubles and thank you very much for helping us to localize this issue. This is very appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I will be able to do what is requested not before 12/03/23, as I am on vacation and I don't have my PC with me.  As soon as I can do it, I will also communicate it here.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline _Mamide_

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2023, 04:03:34 PM »
@jaroslav.nix : as you requested : https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am0g3bxW87HCgUuhr31O9mVn5G4u

Offline jaroslav.nix

• Avast team
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2023, 05:17:06 PM »
Thank you very much _Mamide_, this is great. We now see the reason, it's connected to internal Avast health check which calculates hashes of all avast files on the disk. I have initiated internal discussion with developers owning this feature and we will start working on some optimization/fix. Once more thank you, we don't need any more uploads of performance logs, this one is perfect.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 05:29:07 PM by jaroslav.nix »

Offline _Mamide_

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2023, 08:44:09 PM »
Thank you very much _Mamide_, this is great. We now see the reason, it's connected to internal Avast health check which calculates hashes of all avast files on the disk. I have initiated internal discussion with developers owning this feature and we will start working on some optimization/fix. Once more thank you, we don't need any more uploads of performance logs, this one is perfect.

i'm Glad to have helped you ... Good Luck ;)

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2023, 03:37:15 PM »

Thanks for finding the problem. 
So when will the update patch be released?

Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline jan.svoboda

• Avast team
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2023, 12:38:37 PM »

Thanks for finding the problem. 
So when will the update patch be released?

Hi, if everything goes well the fix could be included in the beta next week.

Jan