Author Topic: Hard disk usage 100% when starting the PC  (Read 13953 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Hard disk usage 100% when starting the PC
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2022, 09:07:43 PM »
When the resolution?

The problem with making a fix, is they first have to identify the problem.  From what has been covered in this topic doesn't give enough to identify the issue to attempt a fix.

Ordinarily Avast would ask you to Record a performance problem - Avast UI > Settings > General ? Troubleshooting > Record a performance problem - Open Recorder - Start Recording. 

I don't know what happens after this as I have never done this.  I guess having given a brief description (here I would give the URL to this topic as further reference) - Start Recording.  You would have to restart after that to try and replicate the problem and have the monitoring recorded. After this disk usage activity dies down stop the recording.  Presumably this would then need to be submitted to avast for analysis (I don't know how, never having used this function).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2022, 09:20:03 PM »
When the resolution?

The problem with making a fix, is they first have to identify the problem.  From what has been covered in this topic doesn't give enough to identify the issue to attempt a fix.

Ordinarily Avast would ask you to Record a performance problem - Avast UI > Settings > General ? Troubleshooting > Record a performance problem - Open Recorder - Start Recording. 

I don't know what happens after this as I have never done this.  I guess having given a brief description (here I would give the URL to this topic as further reference) - Start Recording.  You would have to restart after that to try and replicate the problem and have the monitoring recorded. After this disk usage activity dies down stop the recording.  Presumably this would then need to be submitted to avast for analysis (I don't know how, never having used this function).
Ok. Thanks!
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2022, 09:36:08 PM »
You're welcome, hopefully it will help.

When you are actioning this procedure, if you can document what happens at the various stages to fill in the blanks in my procedure above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cheyo

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2022, 05:13:33 AM »
Hi,

I expose what I mentioned in the forum in Spanish: Reading the forum in English I notice several issues related to the ram or the slow start of the antivirus interface and that is why my question: Normal behavior of the Antivirus when starting the PC? Is it a change? I noticed about 3 months ago and I thought either it's an error or it's to optimize the start, if so it generates 2 problems: low performance when starting and poor performance during use. Why? Windows is terrible managing the cache and Ram , I suppose that users like me with 8Gb of ram or less will notice it more or slow hard drives. By the way, a few weeks ago I installed a laptop with Windows 10 and Avast had the same behavior.

Attached link to better see the start of the PC: https://youtu.be/6ekEaPN3P1s

Greetings and sorry for the English that I use as a translator

Offline jaroslav.nix

• Avast team
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2022, 12:32:30 PM »
Thank you for reporting. Can you please reproduce this issue and provide us the performance recording (at the moment when it is happening). You can either record and submit the recording from UI (Settings > General -> Troubleshooting > Record a performance problem) or you can follow the procedure described here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=237567.0

in either way please let us then know (here on the forum) that you have finished uploading, so we can have a look and analyze it with priority. Thank you and we are sorry for these inconveniences.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 07:03:43 PM »
Thank you for reporting. Can you please reproduce this issue and provide us the performance recording (at the moment when it is happening). You can either record and submit the recording from UI (Settings > General -> Troubleshooting > Record a performance problem) or you can follow the procedure described here:

in either way please let us then know (here on the forum) that you have finished uploading, so we can have a look and analyze it with priority. Thank you and we are sorry for these inconveniences.

For now I switched to another AV Free. For the way I use the PC, I often turn it off and on again, so this was a very annoying thing.
When I see that the problem has been solved maybe I will come back to use Avast Free again.
So for now I'm monitoring this thread and see if the problem will be resolved.
Thank you.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 08:16:41 PM »

For now I switched to another AV Free. For the way I use the PC, I often turn it off and on again, so this was a very annoying thing.
When I see that the problem has been solved maybe I will come back to use Avast Free again.
So for now I'm monitoring this thread and see if the problem will be resolved.
Thank you.

Without detailed information how do you think they are going to find the issue.  Why do you think they ask for your help  ?

Offline jaroslav.nix

• Avast team
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2022, 11:39:36 AM »
Thank you Nunzio77, I fully understand you pain and I am really sorry for not being able to help you more at the moment. But since this is not happening in our testing environment, we can't really say which component or which part of the product is responsible for the HDD load. The performance recording is the easiest way how to get more information. Thank you.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2022, 12:07:59 PM »
Thank you Nunzio77, I fully understand you pain and I am really sorry for not being able to help you more at the moment. But since this is not happening in our testing environment, we can't really say which component or which part of the product is responsible for the HDD load. The performance recording is the easiest way how to get more information. Thank you.
Thank you for the feedback.  I'm so sorry that you can't figure out what the problem might be and let's see if others in this forum find it and are able to provide data for analysis.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2022, 07:03:45 PM »
I gave Avast Free another chance.  :D
I reinstalled the latest version and for the moment this problem seems to be gone.
Now when I start the PC the hard drive percentage stays at 100% for about 3 minutes maximum, which is understandable.
So it is probable that with this new version the previous problem has been solved.
Well, I'm very happy to use Avast Free again.  :) ;)
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2023, 05:13:26 PM »
I hope the use of resources during PC startup will be improved with the next releases. 
Especially for older PCs and with HHD.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline VictorPst

• Victorpas
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2023, 10:36:33 PM »
I had the free version for a few months and at first it took 100% of my HDD for about 5 minutes now it takes less than 1 minute and i didn't make any changes to my computer, only upgraded to windows 11 but i don't think that is too relevant.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2023, 11:35:04 PM »
I still can't get my head around the 100% of HDD, to me this can't be capacity but something else (write to or read from).  As it can't possibly completely write to every part of your HDDs storage capacity.

My Primary drive is a 256GB SSD
My secondary drive 1TB (data storage) is HDD and there are occasional spikes lasting seconds yet it really has no impact on my system.

What I don't get is where you are getting that Avast is responsible for this usage as that isn't shown, at boot this activity will generally be the OS opening startup programs, etc. 

I would certainly suggest paring down just what you need to open immediately and the remainder only open when required.  I'm very strict in what I allow to open on boot, otherwise it is only opened when I require it and closed if not going to be used.

Offline Tom158

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2023, 04:05:58 PM »
I just bought the Avast premium package and i also notice, that my HDD (just a data drive, my system is on a SSD) is running for 2-3 minutes.
I didn't check the system load, its just annoying, since its "loud".
This only happend after activating all the features from premium and doing all the recommended scans and things.

This did never happen with Avast free, but always since premium, so some "service" is doing something at each start, like a scan of the HDD.
I couldn't find anything in the options about a scan at each start of windows though.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2023, 06:08:51 PM »
As I mentioned, Avast being an on-access antivirus scanner, at boot if you regularly have lost of programs run on start up, be brutal.

Quote from: DavidR
I would also ask if you have a lot of apps/programs set to run on startup ?
If so try limiting those to see there is one causing avast to scan disk activity.

For every program starting avast is going to scan the executables and actions of the program.  Try disabling the startup items one at a time and see if one stands out, e.g. reduces this impact.

I have never felt the need for the extras included in the Premium version, so I would look at the additional components.  Try disabling them one at a time and see if one stands out, e.g. reduces this impact.