Author Topic: Hard disk usage 100% when starting the PC  (Read 13951 times)

Offline Tom158

Re: Hard disk usage 100% when starting the PC
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2023, 02:44:26 PM »
I just checked my task manager at start and in my case it is as i suspected. It's the Avast services, that scan or do something at start. Mostly the "premium clean up" not sure, why it would need to scan everything right at the start of windows, rather than at fixed dates (which is disabled), or when i ask the software to do it.
I find things like that rather annoying, so i de-installed the whole "feature".

Right now there is not much "premium" left for me and i have more problems than before to be honest, might actually look into a refund here and go back to basic...

Offline _Mamide_

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2023, 10:20:29 PM »
Guys, this problem doesn't happens when PC starts but ...... every time "AvastSvc.exe" is started.

it's incredible .... this issue occurs even when All Shields are disabled ... Very Strange what causes intensive operations on Disk even an SSD is used at 100%.

Topic started since November and ..... no fix until now :(

i created a topic here (before i see this topic) :

hi,

There is big issue with Avast ...... Disk usage is impressive !!!!!

Avast uses 100% of HDD and SSD for a long time everytime Avast Service is launched (it's like if it scans every file in installation folder) and hundreds of files are read !!!

Every time i launch avast ... it reads hundreds of files (files that don't have any link with the functioning of avast).

You can test it easily ... launch "resource monitor" and enjoy the "AvastSVC.exe" activity !!!!

So if you have HDD so you can add 1 or 2 minutes to windows start to be operational.

With HDD Avast Launch takes more time than All Windows Services to Start ... it's amazing :D

This happens Even when all shields are disabled.

Avast was a very light software .... now it is becoming a heavy software like Kaspersky and others :(

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 10:28:42 PM by _Mamide_ »

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2023, 09:37:27 AM »
Guys, this problem doesn't happens when PC starts but ...... every time "AvastSvc.exe" is started.

it's incredible .... this issue occurs even when All Shields are disabled ... Very Strange what causes intensive operations on Disk even an SSD is used at 100%.

Topic started since November and ..... no fix until now :(

i created a topic here (before i see this topic) :

hi,

There is big issue with Avast ...... Disk usage is impressive !!!!!

Avast uses 100% of HDD and SSD for a long time everytime Avast Service is launched (it's like if it scans every file in installation folder) and hundreds of files are read !!!

Every time i launch avast ... it reads hundreds of files (files that don't have any link with the functioning of avast).

You can test it easily ... launch "resource monitor" and enjoy the "AvastSVC.exe" activity !!!!

So if you have HDD so you can add 1 or 2 minutes to windows start to be operational.

With HDD Avast Launch takes more time than All Windows Services to Start ... it's amazing :D

This happens Even when all shields are disabled.

Avast was a very light software .... now it is becoming a heavy software like Kaspersky and others :(

If they fix this Avast is really light on resource usage.
Because only when starting Avast is heavy for about 3-4 minutes when starting the PC, after CPU usage, RAM usage and hard disk usage it's all very low.
It is useless to run a deep scan every time a "clean" PC starts up.

Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline _Mamide_

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2023, 10:44:24 PM »
If they fix this Avast is really light on resource usage.

yes Avast is very light comparing to some AVs this is why it's the best free Antivirus :)

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2023, 09:26:57 AM »
@jan.svoboda please one check.

Thanks! 😉
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 09:28:36 AM by Nunzio77 »
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline jan.svoboda

• Avast team
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2023, 10:30:49 AM »
Hi Nunzio77 and the others with similar issue - VictorPst, Tom158 and _Mamide_ . We are not able to induce such issue in our environment. In order to analyze and find out the root cause of the issue we really need your help. If you would be so kind and share your performance recording with us as was already suggested earlier this could help resolve the problem.

Thank you for reporting. Can you please reproduce this issue and provide us the performance recording (at the moment when it is happening). You can either record and submit the recording from UI (Settings > General -> Troubleshooting > Record a performance problem) or you can follow the procedure described here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=237567.0

in either way please let us then know (here on the forum) that you have finished uploading, so we can have a look and analyze it with priority. Thank you and we are sorry for these inconveniences.

Thank you very much.

Jan

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2023, 06:59:05 PM »
Hi Nunzio77 and the others with similar issue - VictorPst, Tom158 and _Mamide_ . We are not able to induce such issue in our environment. In order to analyze and find out the root cause of the issue we really need your help. If you would be so kind and share your performance recording with us as was already suggested earlier this could help resolve the problem.

Thank you for reporting. Can you please reproduce this issue and provide us the performance recording (at the moment when it is happening). You can either record and submit the recording from UI (Settings > General -> Troubleshooting > Record a performance problem) or you can follow the procedure described here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=237567.0

in either way please let us then know (here on the forum) that you have finished uploading, so we can have a look and analyze it with priority. Thank you and we are sorry for these inconveniences.

Thank you very much.

Jan

I tried to figure out how to do it, but honestly I didn't understand anything to be able to record and then create the log file.
It's too complicated...isn't there something or a simpler procedure??
I give up if it's that complex...
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2023, 08:08:39 PM »
<snip quotes>
I tried to figure out how to do it, but honestly I didn't understand anything to be able to record and then create the log file.

Try not to look at this as a whole thing, but take it one step at a time.
1.  Download the file.  Ordinarily it would go to your default download folder.
2.  Google - https://www.minitool.com/news/elevated-command-prompt.html
3.  go to the folder with downloaded file avast-profile.wprp - should be 1. above.
3a. - start recording via command wpr.exe -start avast-profile.wprp (or with newest Avast Antivirus: wpr.exe -start "c:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\profile.wprp") - just copy and past the bold text into the cmd window.  Your folder will be different to mine in the location before the command.
once you have reproduced the problem you can stop it from the cmd prompt in the same way you started
4.  stop recording via command wpr -stop avast-log.etl

- ZIP the log file avast-log.etl and share it via some cloud storage (google-drive, dropbox, one-drive) or avast FTP sever
- provide a link to the zipped log file via avast forum
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2023, 08:15:57 PM »
<snip quotes>

Try not to look at this as a whole thing, but take it one step at a time.
1.  Download the file.  Ordinarily it would go to your default download folder.
2.  Google - https://www.minitool.com/news/elevated-command-prompt.html
3.  go to the folder with downloaded file avast-profile.wprp - should be 1. above.
3a. - start recording via command wpr.exe -start avast-profile.wprp (or with newest Avast Antivirus: wpr.exe -start "c:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\profile.wprp") - just copy and past the bold text into the cmd window.  Your folder will be different to mine in the location before the command.
once you have reproduced the problem you can stop it from the cmd prompt in the same way you started
4.  stop recording via command wpr -stop avast-log.etl

- ZIP the log file avast-log.etl and share it via some cloud storage (google-drive, dropbox, one-drive) or avast FTP sever
- provide a link to the zipped log file via avast forum

At the following link: http://public.avast.com/~nix/users/wpr/avast-profile.wprp
I don't download any file, it opens a web page in html..

Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2023, 09:55:50 PM »
OK
Looking again at the first line of the information
- download the configuration file from http://public.avast.com/~nix/users/wpr/avast-profile.wprp to some local folder (this step is not necessary on newest installation of Avast Antivirus)

So according the the above you may not need to download it with the latest versions of Avast whatever version that started from.  Not even sure if you would still need to run the cmd

One thing for sure these instructions really need to be reviewed in regard to (this step is not necessary on newest installation of Avast Antivirus)[/i]
What is considered newest installation of Avast and where would this file be located (may not even be needed).

However, I'm wondering if all of this is even required if there is no need to download:
1.  Using the Avast UI > Settings > Troubleshooting > Record a performance problem (enable the Logs - Enable debug logging) now click the Open Recorder (see attached image).
2.  Reproduce the problem so it can be recorded.
3.  Enter the Avast UI > Settings > Troubleshooting > Record a performance problem - uncheck the Enable debug logging.  That should stop these excessive debug logs continuing.
4.  My guess is that these debug logs would be compressed and uploaded to Avast with a unique code that would be also given to you to record in the forums so your log can be found and linked to your topic.

OR

With newest Avast Antivirus whatever this is:
1. Just run the CMD line mentioned before, wpr.exe -start "c:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\profile.wprp"

2.  Does this generate the report, compress and upload it to avast and give you the Unique ID to post in the forums.

One thing for sure this procedure need a lot of clarification and that instruction rewritten.

NOTE: by the end of this pondering, I felt like I had been chasing my tail round a tree and caught up with it.  So I'm going to wait for answers, clarification and a rewrite of the requirements.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2023, 10:20:27 PM »
Thanks @DavidR your support has been very helpful.  :) ;)

@jan.svoboda I've recorded the Avast UI settings(Avast UI > Settings > Troubleshooting > Record a performance problem). I entered a brief description in my language (Italian) and sent the report by entering my e-mail address.
I performed two within seconds.
This was the easiest and fastest solution.
Now please retrieve this information and try to solve this problem.
Thank you!  :)
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2023, 12:02:31 AM »
You're welcome.

Didn't it give you a unique code, so they can link what has been received with you in the forum.
It also seems to be somewhat fast given what you first reported:
Quote from: Nunzio77
Hello,
I noticed that when I start the PC, for many minutes (about 10/15 minutes) the hard disk usage is high, in total it remains at 100% and the app that uses the hard disk the most is Avast antivirus.

So to replicate this I would have thought you would need to initiate the Record a performance problem and restart your system and after the delay (performance hit), then:
Enter the Avast UI > Settings > Troubleshooting > Record a performance problem - uncheck the Enable debug logging, to conclude the recording of the performance problem  ???

Now, if only Avast would update the instruction they give a link to.

Offline _Mamide_

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2023, 04:12:27 PM »
@DavidR : i made a 600 MB log file for you (and it is just 1 minute of Record) :p

i use windows 7+ HDD because it's the best platform to reproduce easily the problem (AvastSVC.exe is locked in W10 so i can't do tests without be altered by other processes).

Why in W7 we can kill AvastSVc.exe and not in W10 ? ... you can resolve this soon ?

Link for the log file : https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am0g3bxW87HCgUpo19TtbGPYQ_JH?e=KzzPgl
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 04:15:33 PM by _Mamide_ »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2023, 05:00:22 PM »
It isn't for me as such (an Avast User, like you) but for the Avast Team to analyse.

I have tried to contact jan.svoboda to get back to the topic (being a Saturday it might be a couple of days).

Offline _Mamide_

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2023, 05:04:55 PM »
It isn't for me as such (an Avast User, like you) but for the Avast Team to analyse.

I have tried to contact jan.svoboda to get back to the topic (being a Saturday it might be a couple of days).

LoooL okkk i though you were member of Avast Team :p