Author Topic: script to disable and re-enable Avast for exmerge  (Read 6555 times)

Sp00k

script to disable and re-enable Avast for exmerge
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »
Hi, We run Backup Assist and are receiving the following error when attempting to backup using Exmerge:

A conflict with an antivirus program has stopped messages from being exported

Description
During an Exchange mailbox backup Exmerge tries to export mail messages from the users' mailboxes. Mail messages may include attachments. Certain antivirus programs place "locks" on attachments, meaning they cannot be exported.

Resolution

1. Suspend antivirus programs
The recommended solution is to temporarily disable the antivirus program for the duration of the backup. Several anti-virus companies have recommended this solution.

You can disable the scanner from your pre-backup script, and enable it again in your post-backup script. To set this up, go to the "Scripts" tab in your backup job, and enter the appropriate commands.  These commands vary between different programs so refer to the helpfiles in your antivirus program.

Backup assist allows for cmd scripts before and after the backup. I am guessing I can use a "net stop" and "net start" script to stop Avast services before and after the backup, but obviously I want to stay as protected as possible. Would this be the best way to go about this? If so, what services would I need to stop to ensure that the files are not locked but ensures realtime protection? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for your response

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: script to disable and re-enable Avast for exmerge
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 03:03:22 PM »
As far I know, net commands can only enable/disable all antivirus protection (ashserv.exe) but not one provider itself.
Avast shouldn't block anything, just scan. I always doubt when some technician says: disable your antivirus. Maybe because avast shouldn't conflict with anything else if it is correct installed in a stable computer.
Maybe you can add the Exmerge folders to the Exclusion list of avast resident scanning...
For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

Sp00k

Re: script to disable and re-enable Avast for exmerge
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 12:21:03 AM »
Hi and thanks for your reply. According to the Backup Assist knowledge base, this is a know issue affecting exmerge. MShave written a number of KB articles based on the isse. I think it is more a MS problem than an AV problem. Apparently, Exmerge tried to export mail messages with attachments, and those attachments are locked by the AV while it is scanning them

* http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328642 (regarding updated anti virus signatures)
    * http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264731 (regarding MAPI failures)
    * http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896671 (regarding soft-deleted messages)

What about command line parameters for Avast? Are there and CMD parameters that can start and stop certain parts of Avast?