Author Topic: After updates of my Avast Free, my Windows 7 stops loading  (Read 2036 times)

Offline TIMA

After updates of my Avast Free, my Windows 7 stops loading
« on: November 25, 2022, 06:33:15 PM »
Hello.

Since recently, after updating avast, my operating system has stopped loading.
I tried to restore using a boot image, a bootable flash drive - without results.
I tried to boot in any safe mode - without result (under any circumstances, the Windows recovery mode is loaded).
The result of damage to my operating system is precisely the update of the avast program, because after several experiments only due to the update of avast and damage occurs.
What else I tried: restoring Windows system files. restoring the system image (helps only before updating avast), checking for system disk errors, checking equipment (such as RAM, hard / solid state drives - s.m.a.r.t. and other checks), viruses and other evil spirits (which are not there thanks to avast).
I am attaching a screenshot in which the Windows recovery mode swears at one of the files, which is the avast program driver (screenshot attached).

In general, dear support service, I ask you to pay attention to this problem, since the operating system is unrecoverable, and a new reinstallation and reinstallation of Avast breaks everything again and I ask you to give an answer to this problem, start actions to prevent this "kosyachny" problem from the side of the service avast.

Also, if there is a corresponding avast update, please notify me so that I can try to update and make sure that everything works and nothing breaks, since I work in a large organization related to teaching children and, accordingly, there are many computers running Windows 7 (at least 120 pieces) - just imagine when they all receive updates in a timely manner and "die" in an instant ....

p.s. all problems started after updates from November 21-23 inclusive, 2022
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 06:39:56 PM by TIMA »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: After updates of my Avast Free, my Windows 7 stops loading
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 11:28:53 PM »
I quote this from another thread. Maybe it will help you.

My WIN7 has completely crashed and cannot enter the system.
Just reinstall.
Now, as long as AVAST is installed on the new system, it will keep repeating "Startup Repair" and cannot enter the system. It is impossible to see where the problem is.

Hello, we have already identified the problem. Our drivers have new authenticode signature (using sha256 hashing), which is not recognized on non-updated Windows 7 32 bit systems. This update is required: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb4474419. The problem applies only to Windows 7 32 bit. For Windows 7 64 bit, there is already block implemented in our installer, which prevents delivery of new versions on non-updated Windows 7 64.

Thank you

Offline MickFoley

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 05:55:26 AM »
I am also having the same problem with my Win7 32Bit, please help me !

Offline TIMA

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 06:29:06 AM »
try to move somewhere or delete some files in system32\drivers folder, files asw*.sys (all same files), then restart yout PC.
In my case, my Win 7 the download goes beyond the windows logo, but then the blue screen appears ...

Offline TIMA

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 09:27:11 AM »
Oh yes, I was able to overcome this trouble.
In general, booting from a bootable flash drive, connecting the registry in the RegisterPE utility and searching for branches and registry values using the keywords "avast" and "asw" (you need to be very careful with this, since you need to compare with the file names in the system32\drivers asw folder *.sys - a screenshot of the list is attached) and feel free to delete it all.
Next, reboot and voila! I have a successful upload.
Well, then you can go through the proprietary avast removal utility so that there are no leftovers (safe mode also worked)

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 11:42:41 AM »
Hi, and sorry for the trouble!

We've already stopped migration for Windows 7, and we're working on a fix.

We released an article describing the recommended troubleshooting: https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/troubleshoot-booting-error/

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 11:49:58 AM »
You say that, but I'm on Win 7 and today received the alert to update my Avast. So no, migration is not stopped.

Even though I'm on 64-bit and up to date, I'm still going to defer until this is all resolved.

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 01:20:29 PM »
You say that, but I'm on Win 7 and today received the alert to update my Avast. So no, migration is not stopped.

Even though I'm on 64-bit and up to date, I'm still going to defer until this is all resolved.
Sorry for the confusion, the migration should be stopped on the potentially problematic systems - Win7x86. This problem should not affect updated Win7x64. Of course, we respect if you prefer to wait for the fix (should be part of the next program update).

Offline Friend

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 04:18:59 PM »
Same problem on 64-bit windows 7 professional. Not only 32-bit, i got 4 to 5 system running some on 32 bit some on 64bit same issue after updating to latest version of avast, even same issue fresh install of avast, windows never start properly after restart. Only if i install a older version it work but after its auto update same issue occurs. Please check and fix it.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 08:02:08 PM »
Same problem on 64-bit windows 7 professional.....
make sure the windows update (kb4474419) here is also installed on your 64b systems