Author Topic: Can't install Avast afer uninstalling  (Read 716 times)

Offline Brian419

Can't install Avast afer uninstalling
« on: November 28, 2022, 03:01:31 PM »
I'm using Windows 8.1. My Avast Free updated and needed to restart. I restarted but my ZoneAlarm firewall triggered a warning about Avast installation. I clicked for it to accept it. It did it again for another thing related to Avast and I accepted that. But then Avast wouldn't fully open. In the taskbar it showed the Avast symbol with a red X and Windows security said I didn't have an antivirus on. I tried to open the Avast interface but when it opened the screen it said "Hmm...looks like we need to restart" or something like that. It had a button to Repair but it then said "Repair Failed" and said I should restart. I did but it still did not fully open and when I tried to open the interface again got the same screen.
I went to Programs and Features and tried to Repair Avast but it said Setup was already running. I tried Uninstall and the same message. So I restarted in Safe Mode and uninstalled it there. Then I restarted normal and downloaded and tried to reinstall Avast. But the little installer window opened and just hung there and didn't install. The Task Manager showed it wasn't doing anything either. I tried it a few more times but nothing.
I downloaded Avast Clear and restarted in safe mode and used it, hoping to get rid of any faulty files that might have still been around. When I restarted normally I tried installing again but the same thing. I downloaded the offline uninstaller and tried in safe mode but it said I needed the Base Filtering Engine (BFE) Service running. I opened services.msc and tried to strt BSE service but it said it can't run in safe mode. I restarted in regular mode and tried the offline installer. The little installer window opened and unlike the online installer download the little bar kept moving from left to right but it still wasn't doing anything. I left it a long while and nothing, no process Memory or Disk, etc. either.
I can't find any solutions to this online. How do I install Avast again?

Offline Brian419

Re: Can't install Avast afer uninstalling
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 03:33:24 PM »
I got it to work. I tried running Windows Update. It said there were none bit I checked for updates. It just kept running and running so I eventually closed it. But then later I was going to restart my computer again and it said "Update and restart" and installed 3 updates. After it started I tried installing Avast again and it finally installed.