Author Topic: Suspect a false positive after latest update  (Read 4184 times)

JEfromCanada

Suspect a false positive after latest update
« on: March 11, 2004, 03:18:38 AM »
After my update today (database version 0403-6), Avast reported a trojan W32:Trojan.gen{Other} on file C:\mirc\mirc.exe.

This file has been on my computer for over two years, and no virus scanner (avast, online scanners, symantec, AVG) has ever had a problem with it.

When the warning was first posted, I tried the repair option, but then thought better of it - adding the offending file to the Exceptions list, and restoring the original file from my backups (yes, I actually do use backups!)

Could someone confirm whether the latest release could have caused this.  I have the zipped or original versions of the mirc.exe file if anyone needs to examine them.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Suspect a false positive after latest update
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 03:21:10 AM »
The best things in life are free.

JEfromCanada

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 03:26:49 AM »
VPS 403-6 seems to have more false positives (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=3212;start=msg23017#msg23017)  >:(

Thanks for the very quick reply.  I did see that thread before posting, but since the reported file and symptom were slightly different, I thought I'd start a new thread.  Do you need my file to help determine why the false positive occurred?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 03:32:31 AM »
Me not but you can send it to virus@avast.com for analysis...
Hope we have more luck tomorrow... Wellcome to forums.  8)
The best things in life are free.

JEfromCanada

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 05:34:09 AM »
Me not but you can send it to virus@avast.com for analysis...
Hope we have more luck tomorrow... Wellcome to forums.  8)
I've mailed it in, but I'm sure it's just caused by a glitch in their latest update file.