Author Topic: Cannot enable Resident protection  (Read 4089 times)

wendpick

Cannot enable Resident protection
« on: December 23, 2007, 05:52:54 PM »
 :-[ Can anyone help me here please.
I am using the Avast Home edition, but the resident protection is disabled and I dont know why.
I have Windows XP and  Comodo firewall is enabled.
I think I need to specify Avast as a trusted application in Comodo, but dont know to specify the application. There seem to be so many exe's in the Avast folder - and what does Comodo mean by "Parent application".
I would appreciate your help

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot enable Resident protection
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 07:20:58 PM »
First a Parent application is one that launches another 'child' application. You have to decide if the launching of the 'child' application by another is valid, sometimes not easy. What were the two applications mentioned, Parent and child (other).

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

ashServ.exe is the main scanning engine of avast, some others you will need to allow Internet access, ashWebSv.exe, ashWebSv.exe and avast.setup.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wendpick

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 09:14:18 PM »
Many thanks - I had AVG installed previously, but uninstalled it with its uninstaller.
I will try adding the exe's you mentioned to the trusted applications in Comodo, and see what happens.

wendpick

Still cannot enable Resident protection
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »
Nope, adding the exe's, plus all the dlls I could find, to the trusted sites in Comodo, but that just did not help.
Anymore rabbits you can pull out your hat for me?
I didnt think it would be this hard to enable resident protection.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 10:14:02 PM »
Try PC Tools Firewall Plus, it's free & easy to use!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 10:23:02 PM »
Nope, adding the exe's, plus all the dlls I could find, to the trusted sites in Comodo, but that just did not help.
Anymore rabbits you can pull out your hat for me?
I didnt think it would be this hard to enable resident protection.

What were the two applications mentioned, Parent and child (other) ?
Perhaps that might throw some light on what comodo is asking and what the problem might be.

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

Does the avast ' a ' icon on the system tray have a red circle with a bar over it ?

Did you install avast in the default location, e.g. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wendpick

Cannot enable Resident protection - no processes running at all!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 11:03:19 PM »
This is so totally weird - NONE of those are running - not one!
I am going to reinstall the whole toot.
Very strange - the whole program was installed initially and it scans and does everything promised, except not one single process is running in Task Manager.
Sheesh.
Thanks so much for your input - I am going to try just once more, by unistalling and then reinstalling everything!
If that doesnt work, you will probably hear my howl from here!
Thanks again
(And yes, I will try the PC tools firewall)
Happy Holidays

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 11:46:15 PM »
Personally I didn't think they would be, but had to confirmation.

avast can't be running if the ashServ.exe isn't running as that is the main scanning engine.

When you install if you didn't do so before install in the default folder. And ensure that the account you are installing has administrator privileges.

Check the Windows, Start, Run, type services.msc (in the run window) and check the avast services. There are 4 two should be automatic and two manual.

avast! Antivirus - "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe" - Automatic - Started
avast! iAVS4 Control Service - "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe" - Automatic - Started
avast! Mail Scanner - "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service - Manual - Started
avast! Web Scanner - "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service - Manual - Started

wendpick

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 12:48:23 PM »
 ;D  Uninstalled Comodo, and then Avast. Reinstalled Avast and its now working like a charm. I have installed PCTools firewall. Pretty sure it was the Comodo firewall that caused the problem.
Thank you so much for all your help.
W

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 06:48:12 PM »
I think I need to specify Avast as a trusted application in Comodo, but dont know to specify the application.
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service). Although, ashServ.exe sends ping packets to find out if the Internet connection is alive. You can turn this off by checking the "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet" box in the avast Program Settings > Update (Connections) page.
The best things in life are free.