Author Topic: Avast Needs To Restart My OS?  (Read 2722 times)

warriorclassb

Avast Needs To Restart My OS?
« on: December 24, 2007, 02:45:51 AM »
It says it has to restart my OS every time I start it up. What is going on? I recently caught something called "Gebyy.exe" and "Qrmodule" or something to that extent, if that would be relevant. I am running Windows Xp and have never had problems up until just now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Needs To Restart My OS?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 02:49:20 AM »
Are you saying this is an avast request to reboot ?

If Operating system restart needed by avast message - First check the contents of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log file, which should show you why it thinks the reboot is needed.

This may be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt

If that doesn't resolve it check this:
You can also check this registry entry (right after computer restart):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, if it contains "PendingFileRenameOpertaions".

Check its contents and if there's only "reboot.txt" from avast4\setup folder, delete PendingFileRenameOperations, don't delete any other key.
Back-up (export) the registry key before you edit/delete, just in case.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

warriorclassb

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 08:27:12 PM »
Sorry about the huge delay in answering but your methods did not solve my problems. What the problem was, was something like TBhot *Troj*. Something to that extent. It creates/created a file called gebby.dll. That infected about half of my start up services, and 1/3 of my start up programs, including avast. So avast needed to restart because it was never loading properly.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:30:18 PM »
Download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

Double click combofix.exe and follow the prompts.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log and a HiJackthis log in your next reply

Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall.

Also, follow the instructions here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=32337.msg270377#msg270377

Also if you do have vundo / virtumonde, after you delete it with combofix be sure to update your sun java because, most probably, that is what allowed the infection in the first place.
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »
I am almost 100% sure you got infected with exactly the same thing like my desktop PC was. See this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=32297.msg269903#msg269903

In your first post you mentioned: "Gebyy.exe" and then in your second post you said: "gebby.dll". I think that the right name is Gebyw.exe and it is located in C:\Windows\System32\ subfolder.

Nasty infection... I simply backed up my working folders (separate partition), reinstalled Windows from the scratch and restored my data.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »
It depends on the variant.  But combofix will show which and in the great majority of cases is recoverable