Author Topic: Denial of Internet access  (Read 806 times)

Offline closibley

Denial of Internet access
« on: December 23, 2022, 02:42:22 PM »
This morning the Avast Premium Security firewall blocked an Untrusted Network on my PC. The network was called Network. Immediately afterwards I received a Windows message that my Internet access was blocked. Disabling the Avast firewall restores access, but how do I resolve this? My Windows Network & Internet status says that I am connected to the Internet, but I'm not. Would greatly appreciate any advice.   ...  Chris

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Denial of Internet access
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 05:44:30 PM »
Is your fiewall set to "public" instead of "private" network?

Offline closibley

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 11:25:50 AM »
Thank you for responding.  No,  all my firewall settings are the default settings.   ...  Chris

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 11:34:52 AM »
If you are not connecting to public wifi or potential untrusted networks, but just to your trusted home network. Check your Avast firewall is set to "Private".
I suspect default setting may be the more restriced "Public" setting. Please check this setting yourself, as that is often the cause of network issues reported on the forum.

Offline closibley

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 10:53:01 PM »
Looking at my firewall page, I see that my current network is blocked and that this network and the other 4 listed as recent networks are all described as untrusted.
The settings for each of them invites me to trust them and, in the case of the current network, I'm invited to unblock it.
The settings for my current network also reveal it to be a Local Area Connection whose Internet Service Provider is BT.  As a btinternet.com subscriber, this does not surprise me and I wonder what possible risk there can be to unblocking it. It looks like the only network I've ever used
I don't know how to check that my firewall is set to private. There is a blizzard of choices within "view firewall rules", so some guidance on this might be helpful, particularly if I'm likely to face this problem again.
Thank you so much for sticking with me on this. Happy Christmas.   ...  Chris