Author Topic: How do you remove malware that isn't detected by virus software?  (Read 757 times)

Offline Judy Hel.

How do you remove malware that isn't detected by virus software?
« on: December 25, 2022, 04:09:38 AM »
My computer is moving extremely slow. I feel certain that a virus or malware has infected my PC. When I am waiting for a website to load in Google Chrome (with Duck Duck Go) I noticed that in the lefthand corner of the browser screen there's a blue box that says "waiting for glassdoor.com". That's just one example, sometimes it says "resolving host" followed by a random site name (please see the two screenshots attached).

In some instances it's a website that I visited 6 months ago and other times it is a site I don't recognize. I've cleared my browsing data but that didn't work. I ran multiple virus scans but nothing was found.

I have the paid version of Avast Premium Security (program version 22.12.6044 -- build 22.12.7758.769) and Avast SecureLine VPN (software version 5.22.7134).

I know it's the holidays and everyone is busy, I would be incredibly grateful for any advice or expert opinions you can lend on this topic. I am concerned that someone has access to my computer.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: How do you remove malware that isn't detected by virus software?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 05:16:32 AM »
Something might be redirecting your internet traffic, or at least the DNS requests. Check if your DNS servers are the ones they're supposed to be. Your ISP should have that information. Or use 1.1.1.1 as a test to see if that fixes the issue.

Check if you have any add-ons running in your browser that shouldn't be. Also maybe run something like Spybot/Malwarebites, and check your hosts file for unknown entries.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 05:18:22 AM by Rundvleeskroket »