Author Topic: If I restart I will be at 22.12.6044 - build 22.8.7500.762 rel date 8/12/22  (Read 767 times)

Offline jf22

I keep my virus definitions up to date but let my Avast program lapse for too long. I have a Windows 7 64bit laptop that is still working very well. The other day I decided to finally update the program.  I got as far as restart computer but haven't done so. My question is, will I have any problems with the update listed in the Subject line above? If not I will go ahead and restart and then and update to the current version. I know that some versions and builds have had problems at first. If I do land on a problem, what should I do?
Thanks for any help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
As far as I'm aware Windows 7 is still supported by Avast.

The problems arise when Microsoft stops support for win7 any security based issues, that antivirus software take into account to protect users may not be supported by Win7.

My old adage has always been if you don't want to lose it, back it up.  Failing that you could create a system restore point before major changes, etc.  That way you have a way back.

Retrospectively I feel it may is hard to recover, having made the update but not restarted. So I don't know if creating a restore point would work as the changes would effectively been made (pending a restart).

Regarding your title, you would have Avast program version, 22.12.6044 (build 22.12.7758.769) which is the latest release, the one prior to to that 22.12.6044 (build 22.12.7758.768). 

However I don't see a defined date in your comment "The other day I decided to finally update the program." or how you updated.  Download of the offline installation file or manual program update from within the program.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jf22

Hi David,
Thank you for your reply. Currently I don't have any questions about being on Windows 7. I mentioned it because I have noticed that some Avast updates can have a program problem that specifically refers to OS 7.
My question refers to the fact that I did an Avast program update on Dec 15 2022 (clicked on Update Program from an older version which was around Nov 2021). I got to the last step of Update Program, when it asks me to restart computer. I was notified that the version it will restart in is the one in the subject line. I would like to to make sure, from some of the experts here at the forum, if this particular version and build will have any problems. If not, I will go ahead and restart, and then proceed to update to the latest version.
Let me know if you have any further questions about what I have done so far.
Thanks again!
jf22

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The first problem is most of those helping on the forums are avast users just like you and most are unlikely to still be running windows 7, though there are a few.  So for the most part, they may not have experienced any problems after the restart.

The second problem, having done the update but have yet to do a restart, changes will have already been made, that is the reason a restart is required to incorporate them.  This is typically for system/low level processes that need to run very early on in the system start.

As I mentioned, I don't know if there is a way of reversing that update short of what I mentioned in my earlier post.  If your last update was from around Nov 2021, that is a huge jump from 21.11.xxxx to 22.12.xxxx. 

Essentially if you do a program update from within the Avast User Interface, you should always get the latest program update.

What I don't know if in that program update would it recognise your having Win7 and would there be any restrictions on what the highest Avast Version you would get.  A long time ago when winXP support was dropped the highest update it could get was 18.8.xxxx
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security