Author Topic: Email Gaurdian  (Read 1471 times)

Offline MrDJ

Email Gaurdian
« on: December 29, 2022, 01:34:19 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this as couldnt find a sub forum.

Ive been getting quite a few spam links lately with the avast safe tag which are obviously spam with only links in them.
UI shows 11% more than previous 30 days.
all i can do is right click on the email and remove the green safe tag and change it to the red suspicious and then report to spam folder and delete. same named email has arrived for last 3 days and always with green safe tag.

Yes my email shows up as compromised in have i been pawned and this was from many years ago when this forum got hacked.
only reason i still use it is i have quite a few accounts set up from years ago that i cant change or update the email address linked so i keep using this msn.com email. anything new gets linked to a much safer email account.

anything more i can do people to block these emails.

avast premium
win 10 pro
firefox brouser
all avast upto date
nord vpn
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email Gaurdian
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 06:02:37 PM »
Well the email guardian is a component of the Avast installation, so in your case this is for Avast Antivirus (and not Avast One), then your post is in the correct sub-forum.

I have no idea if Avast is going to be looking for Spam unless the email is also malicious.

Your information doesn't mention what email client you are using or how they are downloaded or viewed  ?

I user Thunderbird as my default email client and pre vet any email with MailWasher Pro, so I don't get any spam.  I also have a Gmail account and that pretty well deals with all spam (being flagged and moved to the Spam sub-folder).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 07:26:06 PM »
Thanks David.
Its the very old msn.com so i guess part of hotmail.

they just show up in my in box but i never open them. both have the green avast safe tag.
just gone into retrieve deleted. both from same name that i dont know but hovering over name shows one from a gmail account and the other that looks either russian or chinese. email ends with .edu.tw. guess the details of thousands have been bought on the dark web again. can have months of no dodgy emails then quite a few in a few days.

guess its time to not use the email any more but keep it just for receiving mail from the companies i cant update.  already got a gmail and proton mail accounts but not used much.
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 08:37:41 PM »
Have you tried to mark them as spam in msn/webmail ?
You can also create filters to block/auto delete

Avast spam filter was removed 2020
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=235969.msg1555591#msg1555591

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 08:53:28 PM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 08:43:13 PM »
@ MrDJ
Isn't Hotmail meant to be doing the anti spam function like Gmail ?
So how do you download them if as you say "they just show up in my in box but i never open them. both have the green avast safe tag" I assume you download then otherwise Avast wouldn't really scan them.

Whist they may well spam, but that doesn't mean malicious (what the Email Guardian would be checking for),

Whom they are from is irrelevant to any scan being done on the emails. What avast is scanning for is security based issues, not spam.  Should you click any link in those emails, the Web Shield 'should' come into play to prevent you visiting a malicious site.

As Pondus said you can also use spam controls in msn/webmail.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 11:12:36 PM »
im on computer most of day for work so i just click on saved bookmark which opens my in box and they are there. i can tell they are spam so then right click on each one and change the avast category from safe to suspicious and then report as spam. i dont even open the email. im not willing to to click any links i dont know as i use my computer over vpn for hospital work with patient data.
hotmail/msn does filter some out but not these ones for some reason.
thanks for your help as always.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 02:12:03 AM »
https://www.uvm.edu/it/kb/article/filtering-emails-in-outlook/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 02:22:46 AM »
im on computer most of day for work so i just click on saved bookmark which opens my in box and they are there. i can tell they are spam so then right click on each one and change the avast category from safe to suspicious and then report as spam. i dont even open the email. im not willing to to click any links i dont know as i use my computer over vpn for hospital work with patient data.
thanks for your help as always.

You're welcome.

However,  as I said, that's the problem, I don't even know if Avast is checking for spam.  Only if opened and there are links to suspect sites would it cause the Web Shield to alert.