Author Topic: Problems with my avast  (Read 5547 times)

wowvargas

Problems with my avast
« on: December 24, 2007, 06:04:22 PM »
I can't scan my archives files anymore,and the avast ballon is not in the icoms anymore.I try uninstall to reinstall but I can't.Please helpppppppp!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Problems with my avast
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what it is you are having difficulty with.

Do you mean from the windows explorer, right click menu to scan a file ?

What avast balloon are you talking about, is it perhaps the avast ' a ' icon at the bottom right of the desktop, see image ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 09:29:32 PM »
Do you have any other antivirus in this computer?
What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc.?
The best things in life are free.

wowvargas

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 12:21:08 AM »
yes,the "a: icon in the rigth side of the computer has gone.I do have avg 7.5 but is also not working and I can't unistalled or reinstalled.Also I had an anti-spyware from avg but I unistalled already this morning.Sorry about my english.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 01:04:27 AM »
I think you have other problems than simply not being able to scan archives.

You really have to somehow get rid of AVG anti-virus as there is a chance that avast and it could clash, why can't you uninstall or reinstall, what errors or messages are displayed ?
Here are some uninstallers, which may be able to help, http://www.snapfiles.com/shareware/system/swuninstallers.html.

How are you trying to scan archives ?

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wowvargas

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 02:46:20 AM »
Yes,I think that's the problem,cause un avg icon appears something from avast.I think is mess up some how.All start yestarday when my pc present some simptoms that make me believe that have been infected by a virus.Then,I run the avg scan and everything was ok.But the problem persist.The problem was everytime that I open the internet a few windows open by theirself from differents sites.After the avg scan i try to run a avast scan and i could'nt.Then I scan the archives restarting the computer and them avast do the job.After that,I notice that the avg icon and the avast icon was dissapear from my pc,well at least from the rigth side of the pc.Then I went to the avg website and I downloud the avg again,but stupid me i forget to remove the older version first.Everything was working perfectly last nigth after i do that.But this morning the avg icon was desapeared again and avg is not working.I try to remove the program but I cant.Then i go again to the website to install again and see if in the process i can save the file,uninstall the program and then intall it again but everytime that i try to uninstall or install its come a window that said this:

: Checking of state of the item file avgw.exe failed.
            File opening failed. %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe"
                Permission denied:

In addition to that stupidity i made,i also install yesterday a anti-spyware program,i run a scan,it found a lot of spyware,but i uninstall the program this morning to see if that could help me with the other problem.
I now,I mess up,I try to fix something without now how to do it,but please,help me,Im sad.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 03:36:35 AM »
I don't know why the permission was denied, I haven't used AVG in many, many, years (almost 4). So I'm not familiar with the current program, but one thing for sure is it isn't advisable to have two resident anti-virus program installed at the same time. Whilst for some it isn't a problem but a conflict could cause problems, though I'm not sure if this is one of them.

All I can suggest is you try one of the uninstall programs from the snapfiles link I gave you and see if you can uninstall AVG.

What was the anti-spyware you tried ?
If you are going to try something you need to document what it did, most create a log file of what it detected and what it did, etc. If the scan involved detection of malware what that was could help us, so you can see the importance of documenting what it did.

Also if anything was detected it should be quarantined 'first do no harm' rather than deleted and if anything was quarantined then you shouldn't have uninstalled the program as any quarantined items would be lost.

I still don't understand what you mean by I can't scan my archives, how are you trying to scan and what happens ?
We ask question to try and identify what the problem is, without answers we are working blind and guessing what the problem might be.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:39:04 AM by DavidR »

wowvargas

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 04:23:55 AM »
What I try to said before about the scan archives was not the correct words due to my english.I was talking about my files,but I can finally do the scan with avast.I sitll without the "a" icon but I do what you told me to do and everything was ok with avast exept for the icon thing.My mayor problem now is how to get rid of avg 7.5.The anty-spyware was the avg free version.

You think that i should try the snapfiles programs,which one? i have a window xp 2002 AMD athlon prossesor. 798 mhz.

Do you think I should uninstall the avg or you recommend me to wait?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 08:19:38 AM »
To uninstall AVG anti virus follow this link and do only the first 5 steps, afterwards you can delete the download

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?2,28206,backpage=,sv=

You should also download these 2

the latest version of avast and the avast uninstall utility, both can be found here

http://avast.com/eng/programs.html

Save all 3 to your desk top and disconnect from the internet before you start

1. do the steps to uninstall AVG
2. uninstall avast via add/remove programs
3. reboot
4. run the avast uninstall utility (make sure the box is pointed at "c:\program files\alwil software")
4. reboot
5. install avast

AVG antispyware should be no problem to keep.

wowvargas

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 04:31:59 PM »
what is reboot? how can I do that?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 05:19:39 PM »
reboot means restart your computer.  :)