Author Topic: can' go on internet with avast 4 home  (Read 3725 times)

xtpher

can' go on internet with avast 4 home
« on: December 24, 2007, 08:01:16 PM »
using xp home everything updated on a HP . I just downloaded avast 4 and when it is on I cannot get to the internet. Connectivity is excellent when avast is turned off. With Avast on I get e-mail thru outlook express OK. How do I get my computer to go on the internet with Avast 4  activated???  setting is normal and default settings. Firewall turned off

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: can' go on internet with avast 4 home
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 09:11:28 PM »
Which firewall do you use?
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Do you have any other antivirus installed in this computer? Did you have in the past?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 09:19:55 PM »
Does your firewall allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

xtpher

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 10:46:51 PM »
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
even with the firewall off I cannot get through to the internet...I have to turn off  avast 4.6. My previous virus protection was Shield...it is removed now.

xtpher

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 10:51:52 PM »
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Do you have any other antivirus installed in this computer? Did you have in the past?
My past antivirus was Shield..no other antivirus...comcast? we do get Cable. Would that have an anti virus program? How would I know if the firewall is allowing to connect. Does it make a difference if I can't connect even with the firewall off?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 11:12:09 PM »
even with the firewall off I cannot get through to the internet...I have to turn off  avast 4.6. My previous virus protection was Shield...it is removed now.

We are aware of that please humour us and answer the questions and check the permissions as asked, as even when you think your firewall is off drivers will still be running and may have an effect.

However, if as you say you have avast 4.6 it is well out of date (the latest being 4.7.1098), so before doing any further fault finding, I suggest you download the latest version and do a clean reinstall.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

Now uninstall, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 01:38:08 PM »

rbates

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 05:15:13 PM »
I am having the same problem. I installed Avast last night and it keeps blocking me from going on the internet. When I disable it I have no problem. I have done everything you have suggested on this thread but no luck. Any other suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 08:43:34 PM »
Any other suggestions?
We will need more information to be able to help you:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number?
- Which actions have you taken to try solving the problem?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system? Had in the past?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?