Author Topic: Avast is blocking swappa.com and a few other websites using Brave browser  (Read 1809 times)

Offline DarkZero556

I've tried this on 4 different computers and have found the following:
1- If using Brave browser at swappa.com I am blocked from seeing the website while Avast is active
2- If using Chrome, Vivaldi or Firefox browser at swappa.com I can see and use the website with no problems
3- If I disable Avast I can see swappa.com using the Brave browser with no problems
4- All computer gave the same results
5- I've discussed this at the Brave browser forum and posted info there also.

This problem happens on some other sites also but only a few sites.   Both problem sites I've seen this on do NOT use www.****.com but are simply https://****.com sites like https://swappa.com so I don't know if that is related but noteworthy I think.

Offline DarkZero556

This is the error screen I see attached:

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Avast isn't blocking the site or it would be blocking it for all browsers.

Your screenshot isn't an Avast Alert.

There are some security based issues reported here - https://en.internet.nl/site/swappa.com/1874080/
Also this site is rated - Webpage Security Score D - https://snyk.io/test/website-scanner/?test=230115_BiDc50_676&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=webpagetest&utm_campaign=website-scanner - vulnerabilities due to outdated software, etc.

So it looks like your browser security settings in relation to https are possibly too strict and that could well be blocking.  But the site has weaknesses.

I don't use Brave, but Firefox as my default browser.  In its Security Settings
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DarkZero556

Avast IS having some sort of conflict with Brave browser.   I can't even login now to a major bank site, I can't pay with Paypal on eBay and yet if I disable all shields in Avast then I can login to the bank and use PayPal on eBay.  Or if I user a different browser like Chrome then I can leave shields on in Avast.  So yes Avast is causing a problem with the Brave browser.  I have notified the community at the Brave forum also but they so far are convinced it is an Avast issue.  It needs to be looked into...

Also I just now checked Brave security settings.  They were set to 'standard'.  I then turned off all Brave security protections (Not recommended) and tried to load some of the problems websites but they still would not load.   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 07:43:20 PM by DarkZero556 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Sorry I can't be any further practical help as:
A.  I don't use the Brave browser.
B.  I'm an Avast User just like yourself and not an Avast Team member.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DarkZero556

Some more info:  When Avast web shield is on I can't access certain websites like swappa.com.  When it' off I can.
I looked at the Firewall rules for Chrome and duplicated them for Brave but it still won't allow websites like swappa.com and others I've mentioned.
If I had not completely wiped out a Windows OS uninstalling Avast I would do it on mine and try re-installing but as I've pointed out in the past if you use Windows 'Uninstall a program' to uninstall Avast you'll probably find yourself without a bootable OS.  That should never be allowed to have that Avast uninstall available.  It should be made clear you have to use the special "Avastclear" to uninstall it and even that makes me concerned.
As much as I like the features of Avast I feel it has gotten a bit bloated. 
    I just installed a fresh Virtual box Windows 7 with Avast and Brave.  Avast said it required 911 Megabytes to install and initially I didn't have that much space in the Virtual Box virtual hard disk.  Brave works in the Virtual box to get to swappa.com and similar websites so I believe something has gotten corrupted in Avast on my main computer.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 11:08:56 PM by DarkZero556 »

Offline DarkZero556

Okay the problem is now fixed.   Normally I don't like programs to auto-update.  I had set Avast to manually update the app while allowing virus updates automatically.  I now have it set to notify me of program updates.  I see there was an update from a while back I did not have and after doing that update it now works as it should with swappa.com and other sites that were having problems.   Thanks for the help.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome and thanks for the confirmation.