Author Topic: Can't access Discover.com  (Read 1186 times)

Offline kristin11

Can't access Discover.com
« on: January 18, 2023, 07:33:42 PM »
I am unable to access my Discover accounts.  Discover says it's being blocked by Avast.  Is anyone having this issue?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't access Discover.com
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 08:21:36 PM »
No problem connecting to the site, however that is just the pain page, I don't have any accounts.
See attached image, click to expand.

If avast were blocking it as suggested by Discover, it would at the very least display a warning or a full blown Avast Alert.  Are you getting any of these, if so please attach a screenshot.

EDIT: I did some checks on the discover domain and get some issues reported, security and outdated software reported (which could be exploited):
https://en.internet.nl/site/discover.com/1880875/
https://awesometechstack.com/analysis/website/discover.com/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 08:24:24 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline kristin11

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 08:56:09 PM »
Thank you for your reply.

I am not getting any Avast warning.  If I turn off Avast protections, I am still unable to access those accounts (Edge or Chrome).  HOWEVER, even with Avast protections enabled, I am able to access those accounts using the Firefox browser.

So, is this a Discover issue?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 11:36:21 PM »
You're welcome. 
I use Firefox as my default browser.
Unfortunately as an Avast User I can't really say what the true cause/fault might be.

Effectively that is three for three pointing towards it not being Avast, however, I'm an Avast User and not an Avast Team Member, so I can't/don't speak for them.  A possibility would be something in the Chromium base of Chrome and Edge and a possible update in the program version. 

Were you previously able to connect to your Discovery accounts with Chrome and Edge (and if so when did this start happening, e.g. after program updated for Chrome and Edge) ?

Both Chrome and Edge browsers are chromium based browsers and Firefox isn't.  So I don't know if this might be a security setting in both browsers blocking access, given what was found on the checks I made and linked to.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 04:34:27 AM »
Hello kristin11.

I just signed into my Discover account in the latest Edge, no problem. That would probably rule out the browser itself. Do you have any browser extensions in Edge that are also in Chrome?

Offline kristin11

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 04:02:44 AM »
Thank you for helping me troubleshoot this!

I did, indeed find that the problem was not AVAST or my browsers (Edge, Chrome or Firefox).  This afternoon it occurred to me that my ACRONIS program has security tools that I have always deactivated.  However, my ACRONIS subscription was just renewed and the program changed.  I went into those ACRONIS settings and found that the security feature had been turned on. When I deactivated that tool, I had no problem logging into my Discover accts.

I was perplexed and frustrated but I greatly appreciate the time you took to help me with this.  I hope my experience, documented here, can help someone else.

Kristin

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 08:59:12 AM »
I'm glad you got it sorted, Kristin, and thanks for updating the topic. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 12:27:53 PM »
You're welcome.

Thanks for the feedback.