Author Topic: Twitch blocks browser completely after Avast premium  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Tom158

Twitch blocks browser completely after Avast premium
« on: January 28, 2023, 04:13:46 PM »
I just bought the premium Avast package.
Did all the scans and installed all the browser plug ins in my Chrome browser.

So far all websites work, except twitch.
It wants me to log in but then tells me my browser is not supported (Chrome is listed as supported browser on the twitch side and it worked before).
There is a Twitter post about issues with Avast from Twitch staff, that say to deactivate all browser plug ins.
I did deactivate all browser plug ins from Avast, even tried EVERY plug in, but still the same problem.

Avast did something to Chrome that seems to be non-reversable...

When i go to Twitch in the Edge-browser, that i didn't include in the Avast settings, everything works like a charm.
So this is definetively a Avast problem.

Maybe its just a simple check mark somewhere, that i haven't found yet...
Did anyone encounter similar problems?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Twitch blocks browser completely after Avast premium
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 06:09:07 PM »
What is your Operating System and version  ?
I ask as there have been some security based changes in Chrome and chromium code based browser, I think from version 108 on with some old windows versions.
Is your browser Chrome or Avast Secure Browser (chromium code based browser).

Are you getting any Avast warnings or other notifications when trying to connect to Twitch.

Unfortunately, I have avoided Chrome for many years (and chromium based browsers), my browser of choice is Firefox, so I can't really offer any practical advice/assistance on Chrome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tom158

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 09:50:31 PM »
I am using windows 10 pro
Build 19044
Browser is Google Chrome.

I was running Twitch just fine while i was installing Avast premium features. Then i was asked to do a re-start by Avast.
I re-started, installed the browser plug-ins and after that point i was unable to access Twitch.
No Windows update or other Software in between, it is clearly Avast based. Probably some security feature twitch doesn't like.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 11:07:31 PM »
OK
Your Windows version shouldn't be affected by the Chrome security update after version 108 as it supports the security changes.

Browser plug-ins security related ones more likely to have an impact, if you can connect to twitch with plug-ins disabled (which appears you could before doing a restart).  Then it is pointing in that direction.

Unfortunately I'm about as much use as a chocolate ashtray, not using Chrome nor Avast Premium, I can't test.

If not I don't know if

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tom158

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 02:34:30 PM »
Thx for trying to help, but even with ALL plug ins disabled, cache and cookies cleaned up, the browser is still beeing rejected by twitch...
I guess i'm stuck with using multiple browsers now  >:(

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 06:44:49 PM »
You're welcome, I'm sorry it wasn't productive.

Offline redwolfe_98

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 02:56:37 PM »
you can reset the chrome browser or, create a new chrome user profile:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2364824
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 03:14:12 PM by redwolfe_98 »

Offline Tom158

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 09:33:54 PM »
i actually found the problem, it was a setting in Avast.
i had to add the twitch page to the accepted sites in the Avast Anti track tool. Even though i deleted the chrome plugin AND the service itself was disabled!!!

after adding the site, it runs just fine...

an app, that is blocking things, even if it is neither installed in the browser nor activated in general? that is the absolut worst. troubleshooting almost impossible. you basically need luck to figure out your problems...