Author Topic: Installed Avast Antivirus, now Avast One is gone  (Read 1074 times)

Offline jeffharris1231

Installed Avast Antivirus, now Avast One is gone
« on: January 31, 2023, 05:12:18 PM »
I had Avast One, then installed Antivirus, now Avast One is gone. How do I turn my VPN on and off?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Installed Avast Antivirus, now Avast One is gone
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 06:49:51 PM »
Avast Antivirus (free) is a different product to Avast One free, by installing Avast Antivirus Free, it has effectively replaced Avast One

The Avast Free Antivirus doesn't have a VPN component.

The Avast One (free version) has a limited VPN component.

You need to choose what product you want,  it also isn't clear which Avast Antivirus (free or paid), Avast One (free or paid) product you had installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jeffharris1231

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 07:02:52 PM »
I paid for Avast One. I can see that my VPN is on by doing a "what's my IP" check and I see the location is on the other side of the country.  I just need to know how to turn it off. Do I need to uninstall Antivirus and just get a different antivirus?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 07:36:05 PM »
I paid for Avast One. I can see that my VPN is on by doing a "what's my IP" check and I see the location is on the other side of the country.  I just need to know how to turn it off. Do I need to uninstall Antivirus and just get a different antivirus?

Yes, you would have to reinstall the paid version of Avast one.
As you mention, it looks like the VPN is still present and I don't believe that the this would be impacted by the clean uninstall outlined below.
Though I don't know if you would need to shutdown the VPN or not ("I just need to know how to turn it off.").

Whilst you could do an uninstall of Avast Antivirus free (which I assume is what you installed (?)) via the windows programs and features, I would suggest a clean reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, avastclear.exe https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your SSD/HDD. Make a note of the steps required or print the page.
- Download the latest Avast One paid versions installation file for your Avast One Program and save that on your disk.

- Having done the clean install of Avast Antivirus free, do a system restart.

- Now you should have a clean slate to install your paid version of Avast One.

I have never used the Avast One program so haven't any practical experience of its use.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jeffharris1231

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 10:12:09 PM »
Wow, that's crazy. I guess Avast didn't perform integrated systems testing before releasing their individual products?

Yeah, I just need to be able to turn my VPN on/off for various websites...

Anyway, thanks for answering my question!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 10:55:03 PM »
You're welcome.

Well it is somewhat different to integrity checking, a user wants to use avast antivirus for a reason only know to them, given they are both avast products it proceeds.  Generally any integrity checking comes down to Operating System check to ensure it supports the avast product and version being installed.

I have to say your is the first case I have seen in the forums of avast antivirus being installed over avast one.  I have seen some instances of Avast One being installed when the user had avast antivirus already installed.