Author Topic: Virus Notification for Google Search  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Ryan30

Virus Notification for Google Search
« on: February 01, 2023, 03:26:24 AM »
I am getting a "Threat secured" notification on about 50% of my Google searches. Not links in the search, on the search itself.

For example, I searched "Boot Time Scan" and was greeted with "We've safely aborted connection to inlena.weebly.com because it was infected with Script:SNH-gen [Trj]" and a link to upgrade my protection. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Avast to see if it was a setting that was the issue, but it's persisting.

It's feeling like these are false notifications to try and get me to pay for the premium services, as I'm currently running the free version. Honestly, if this is the case, I am less likely to purchase more protection from them if they're going to use scare tactics. I'm truly hoping this is not the case.

Has anyone else been having similar problems, any ideas on how to fix them?

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: Virus Notification for Google Search
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 03:21:46 PM »
Sounds more like you might have spyware on your system that redirects searches.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:48:21 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Ryan30

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 09:22:45 PM »
I've run Avast multiple times, it doesn't find anything on my computer. Why would it find it on a Google search, and not on a full system or boot scan?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 09:39:09 PM »
Because what is happening isn't direct virus/malware activity as such, something is redirecting/connecting to sites that avast considers suspect.

I don't use Chrome Browser (Firefox is my default browser), but I still use google search function and I don't see this.

Without details it is hard to speculate if these are false positives (which I doubt).
Since you don't give any examples of URL (just the domain name without the htxp wxw so it isn't an active link), or a screenshot the Avast Alert window  with the details option open.  It is almost impossible to investigate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Ryan30

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 07:23:39 PM »
Sorry, here is a picture.

My apologies, this was to a website. I'll post another one when it's from a google search. I've not received the notice in a few days. Not since like the day after I posted the original message, so I've not been able to get one.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:27:15 PM by Ryan30 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 08:39:12 PM »
Whilst nothing found on this check - https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/3242b907db8fab7311649ce0e5fe10ee1a4e1f448804cff5eb5953546b8cdf50/links - looking at the link section of the check there are a lot of external links and these can also lead to an alert.

Some security issues reported here - https://en.internet.nl/site/12volt.solutions/1910368/

A lot of outdated software on the site reported here - https://awesometechstack.com/analysis/website/12volt.solutions/ these could be exploited.

The above may or may not be responsible for the Avast alert, but it could certainly contribute.

What has been said already, since you aren't directly trying to connect:
1.  Try clearing your browser cache and cookies - I don't use Chrome, so I can't give detailed instructions. See if that resolves the problem, if not move to the next step.
2.  Try running Chrome for a while with chrome browser extensions disabled, if that resolves that move to next step.
3.  Have you added any new browser add-ons/extensions or have any of them been recently updated.  If so try disabling those, but not all at once as we are trying to pin it down to an individual add-on/extension.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security