Author Topic: NEW Avast Version 23.1 (January 2023)  (Read 17950 times)

Offline Kalman

Re: NEW Avast Version 23.1 (January 2023)
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2023, 12:13:44 AM »
See new image attached. Same issue except now the update says it was released in Feb

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2023, 12:28:50 AM »
@ Kalman
Having looked at both of your images of the version and build numbers there is a very slight difference in both, (possibly a fix ?) Build 23.1.xxxx.772 to 23.1.xxxx.773
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Suigintou

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2023, 03:26:29 PM »
Thank you, it works  8)
I have selected "Remind me when an update is available" hoping so that it does not auto update  :)

There are other file depositories, though I can't recall any from memory.

If you did a system backup before updating Avast you could try a roll back to that point.  Otherwise it may be having to wait for a fix.

I keep my program updates set to Manual.  Also at the top of this topic there is a link to the off-line installation file worth keeping that just in case you have to go back I don't have the 22.12.xxxx offline installation file.

Edit:  I found this, https://www.techspot.com/downloads/223-avast-home-edition.html which is still reporting it as 22.12.xxxx now I don't know if they will have updated to 23.1.xxx yet.  I also don't know if this is a stub installer of the full offline installation file.

Offline mail1

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2023, 03:47:55 PM »
I have never had any major issues with Avast free.  But this January 31 update has caused problems with my Brother scanner.  Specifically, it's ability to scan and OCR a PDF document.  Using the Brother ControlCenter4 app I can scan a doc and save it to normal PDF (without the OCR layer).  But if I tell ControlCenter4 to OCR and save to PDF the app locks up.  I have to kill the ControlCenter4 app in task manager.  I don't see any log in Avast or Windows Event Log indicating what's happening.  I make an image backup of my system every night.  I have rolled back to the image the day before I updated Avast.  I'm sitting on the Avast December version and my scanner problems are gone.  So I will just stay on this December version for the time being.  Any idea if this is a known problem and/or being addressed?  I can probably do some debug logging later today and send it to Avast support if that would help.  Thanks.

did you manage to solve? I have a similar problem!!!

No.  I was going to wait until the next update is released then try again.  I may do a little debug logging on the issue today if I get time, but don't know if I'll be able to tell anything from it or not.

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2023, 04:48:41 PM »
@ Kalman
Having looked at both of your images of the version and build numbers there is a very slight difference in both, (possibly a fix ?) Build 23.1.xxxx.772 to 23.1.xxxx.773

I restarted and shut down my computer yesterday (I did both in that order because I didn't think to just hold shift down while shutting down so I could get a full proper restart), and I have the .773 with the Feb 17 release date on mine post restart/power on. I think the new build numbers, if there are any, take effect after either a restart or a simple shut down and turn-on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2023, 11:45:50 PM »
Thank you, it works  8)
I have selected "Remind me when an update is available" hoping so that it does not auto update  :)

There are other file depositories, though I can't recall any from memory.

If you did a system backup before updating Avast you could try a roll back to that point.  Otherwise it may be having to wait for a fix.

I keep my program updates set to Manual.  Also at the top of this topic there is a link to the off-line installation file worth keeping that just in case you have to go back I don't have the 22.12.xxxx offline installation file.

Edit:  I found this, https://www.techspot.com/downloads/223-avast-home-edition.html which is still reporting it as 22.12.xxxx now I don't know if they will have updated to 23.1.xxx yet.  I also don't know if this is a stub installer of the full offline installation file.

You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline damai

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2023, 12:59:10 AM »
We recently encounter an issue with the new version of Avast Premium Security which negatively impacted 20 machines; needless to say, people are very unhappy and if this issue is not solved quickly we'll have to stop renewing the license and go with other security suite.

We use several home-made applications built in C++ and wxWidgets. When opening the file dialog to load configuration files, the apps crash. We trace back this issue to the new version of Avast (23.1).
  • Reverting back to an OS image which has an older version of Avast, our apps work fine; after updating Avast to its last version, our apps crash
  • Installing only the core of Avast (only the AV, no other option) still crashes our apps
  • Changing the options in this simplified Avast AV - does not solve the problem
  • Adding our exes and folders to exclusion zone - does not solve the problem
  • Disabling permanently Avast and restarting the computer - does not solve the problem ... THIS IS STRANGE !!!!
  • Uninstalling Avast - solves the problem

Analyzing our apps it seems the "file dialog" writes a key in "Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2091205127-3977276242-3766848873-1001\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xls\OpenWithList". I have the feeling Avast blocks this access which results in crashes. I checked the ownership and the rights for the current user to access those key and it has full access.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Offline eGeorgalas

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2023, 12:30:50 PM »
We recently encounter an issue with the new version of Avast Premium Security which negatively impacted 20 machines; needless to say, people are very unhappy and if this issue is not solved quickly we'll have to stop renewing the license and go with other security suite.

We use several home-made applications built in C++ and wxWidgets. When opening the file dialog to load configuration files, the apps crash. We trace back this issue to the new version of Avast (23.1).
  • Reverting back to an OS image which has an older version of Avast, our apps work fine; after updating Avast to its last version, our apps crash
  • Installing only the core of Avast (only the AV, no other option) still crashes our apps
  • Disabling permanently Avast and restarting the computer - does not solve the problem ... THIS IS STRANGE !!!!

Analyzing our apps it seems the "file dialog" writes a key in "Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2091205127-3977276242-3766848873-1001\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xls\OpenWithList". I have the feeling Avast blocks this access which results in crashes. I checked the ownership and the rights for the current user to access those key and it has full access.

Any ideas are appreciated.

The same as above, we face the same  issue with the new version of Avast Premium Security. 

We use several home-made applications built in C++ and MFC. When opening the file dialog to load configuration files, the apps «freeze». We trace back this issue to the new version of Avast (23.1).
  • Reverting back to an OS image which has an older version of Avast, our apps work fine; after updating Avast to its last version, our apps «freeze»
  • Installing only the core of Avast (only the AV, no other option) still «freezes» our apps
  • Disabling permanently Avast and restarting the computer - does not solve the problem .

You have  to address this problem immediately.

Offline El Narizon

• Die Forensoftware ist nicht zeitgemäß
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2023, 01:25:32 PM »
This reminds me of the fall of cFosSpeed software which was patched to death and lost a lot of customers and reputation which resulted in loss of income and so forth, spiraling to the abyss.
Please do not repeat that!

Offline dageezaiphone

Re: NEW Avast Version 23.1 (January 2023) - Please fix Update Notification !
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2023, 02:51:11 PM »
Version installed
23.1.6049 (build 23.1.7883.774)

AVAST Premium Security Update is available
Release date was 17th February 2023 10.23 (Version 23.1.6049 - build 23.1.7883.774)

Been doing this over a month now (obviously with different release date)

Please fix the control mechanism which checks for new version

Offline Aftab Ahmed

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2023, 10:46:14 AM »
I want to report a potential conflict with razer software. My laptop is a razer blade and razer central service is installed. After I tried to upgrade avast free ver from ver22.6 to 23.1, the razer central service began to consume CPU resource all the time. I tried to close the service and restart it, but avast reminded me that "Razer Synapse Service.sys" was a buggy driver and wouldn't allow to launch. I also tried to add the file or the folder to the trusted list but still no work. I have to uninstall avast since my laptop relied on razer software. Please fix that, thx.

My razer central version is 7.3.32.190, razer synapse version is 3.6.1215.121004

Try this
https://github.com/skawamoto0/Workaround-for-Avast-23.1-and-Razer-Synapse-3
https://t.co/QrGVBL9Klu

Thanks. It worked for me.

Offline Sergey21

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2023, 11:58:40 PM »
Hello
Due to this https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect410/hostscan/hostscan_support_charts_4_10_06090.html
I need to download and install Avast Premium Security 22.12.6044
Could you please help me

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2023, 01:33:47 AM »
Hello
Due to this https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect410/hostscan/hostscan_support_charts_4_10_06090.html
I need to download and install Avast Premium Security 22.12.6044
Could you please help me

This document is dated January 26, 2023 (a month old), so they may not have included the latest version 23.1.xxxx released after that date.

So why do you need to do this are you experiencing problems with your Avast product and HostScan ?

I would have thought that CISCO and HostScan need to keep their lists/product compatibility up to date also.

Offline Sergey21

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2023, 09:33:40 AM »
Hello. When I am trying to connect to my work vpn it shows an error "Complience chack failre: Your antivirus database was updated more than 3 days ago or you are using unsupported antivirus software"
So I can no connect to vpn and work remotely. And I have to use avast premium security v 20 (offline installer was provided by support some time ago).
Ok, thanks for answer, will use V 20 until thwey update compatible list
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 09:35:17 AM by Sergey21 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2023, 12:38:30 PM »
You're welcome.

Have you reported this to CISCO, as there are Avast program updated roughly every month.  These could be improvements, bug fixes, etc. so CISCO isn't helping you in this regard.