Author Topic: Which antivirus to choose?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline silverjenny698

Which antivirus to choose?
« on: February 01, 2023, 06:19:44 PM »
Hi everyone!
I really need your advice! If I install Avast Antivirus, will my computer run slower?
The fact is that my computer is not very powerful and the previous antivirus slowed down a lot! Could you please tell me which one is better to choose so that the computer doesn't slow down?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Which antivirus to choose?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 10:15:34 PM »
It certainly hasn't adversely impacted my system.  See my system spec below my posts.

However, we know nothing of your system, so it would pretty hard for anyone to answer this.
You also don't say which avast product you are considering as there are several different products.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline silverjenny698

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 02:44:57 PM »
Thank you for your reply!
I have an HP 250 G7 running on Windows 10. Intel Celeron, 8.00 GB memory.
I haven't decided which product to choose yet. I wonder if I should take into account the characteristics of the computer when choosing, given that the computer is quite old? Maybe there are options for more and less powerful computers? I would be grateful if you could advise me on which Avast product would be right for me?

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 05:44:55 PM »
Every system and configuration is different, try the Avast free version to test and if not suitable look elsewhere.

"Note" that you need to remove all other previous antiviruses with their uninstall tool before installing Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 05:53:00 PM »
@  silverjenny698
It really is hard to recommend something for someone else not knowing their requirements.

Also you haven't said what your are using right now ?
Avast for the most part is lighter than many other Antiviruses.

Given my specifications (below my posts) are a little better than yours.  I found Avast Free best suits my needs, but I have only been using it for 19 years.  I also don't install all components, basically the core protection File, Mail,  Behaviour Shields. I don't install the Firewall and just use the Windows10 Firewall.  The more components you install the more likely it could add system load.

Note: that there is a new product Avast One that has more components than Avast Antivirus (Free), I wouldn't recommend that as you have greater configuration options in the avast antivirus (free).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline silverjenny698

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 09:52:03 AM »
Thank you!
I will uninstall the antivirus I have now and try the Avast free version.