Author Topic: Resource-Exhaustion-Detector, low virtual memory  (Read 1379 times)

Offline techhead

Resource-Exhaustion-Detector, low virtual memory
« on: February 08, 2023, 02:08:27 PM »
I have at least 3 Windows 10 Pro desktops with 8GB RAM that generate this error several times, usually overnight, that ultimately crashes Windows causing a reboot. Event ID 2004. Avast is always at least two of the three executables in the error details.

I've uninstalled Avast Premium Security (version from December) from one of the three this past Sunday and it's been ok since then. Repair install and uninstall/reinstall does not help.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 06:59:59 PM by techhead »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: Resourse-Exhaustion-Detector, low virtual memory
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 03:29:42 PM »
What are your page file settings? Maybe increasing it might help.

Offline techhead

Re: Resourse-Exhaustion-Detector, low virtual memory
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 04:11:44 PM »
Please see the image in my original post...scroll to the top right.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: Resource-Exhaustion-Detector, low virtual memory
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 07:51:58 PM »
Right. I missed that. Still though, might be worth playing around with. Maybe C:\ needs a higher initial size. I have mine set manually to 1GB minimum, and a max of 8GB. On a 16GB system.

The Avast processes mentioned use a lot of memory, but on an 8GB system that shouldn't be of much concern. It depends on what else is using a lot of memory.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 07:57:59 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline techhead

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 08:31:11 PM »
I'll have to look at the minimum virtual mem setting when this particular user is gone for the day.

What I see on the screenshot is over 24GB currently allocated which seems way over what should be necessary.

Resource monitor showed also under 50% RAM utilization at the time of the screenshot.

I currently have Avast on something like 60 PCs and have started having various problems since the December 2022 version.
It may be time to move on...

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 01:14:58 AM »
Maybe you can make Avast a bit lighter on RAM by uninstalling components you don't need or want.

Personally I only run a few basic shields, and none of the other bloat.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 01:45:54 AM »
What is this SearchIndexer.exe and do you need it to be running - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=SearchIndexer.exe - I just wonder if this could be triggering an avast response/check, etc.

https://www.howtogeek.com/28450/what-is-searchindexer.exe-and-why-is-it-running/

You can see my system spec under my post and I too only have 8GB of RAM and don't experience this.

Edit: see 2nd attached image as my virtual memory is also much smaller.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 02:14:46 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security