Author Topic: Avast Ubuntu 7.10 similar problems but unresolved  (Read 5939 times)

dnear1

Avast Ubuntu 7.10 similar problems but unresolved
« on: December 28, 2007, 03:47:37 PM »
I seem to have similar issues to everyone else who is using Ubuntu, but I can't seem to resolve it.
I downloaded the package and installed it.   The folders and files are there but I cannot execute them.
I tried this quote:
I have a worse problem with my installation.  After I installed it using the deb download, I can't find the program in the application menu or any menu for that matter.  I'm new to Linux, so perhaps some one could tell me how to quickly at Avast to my application menu.
These commands will install avast!'s icons&links into the Applications > Accessories > avast! Antivirus menu.
cd /usr/lib/avast4workstation/share/avast/desktop && sudo ./install-desktop-entries.sh install

and now I have the icons in the menu, but when I try to run, I get more errors:

A popup states registration is required.  I registered on Avast and got the key and typed it in manually many times but seems like it is not accepted because of the other errors..

Another pop up states "Unable to detect if another instance of Avast is running."
If I click Details, it shows these 4 messages:
Can't open file /home/dnear1/.avast/avastrc" (error 13: permission denied)
Can't open user configuration file "/home/dnear1/.avast/avastrc"
Failed to inspect the lock file "home/dnear1/.avast/lockfile-dnear1" (error 2: no such file or directory)
Unable to detect whether another instance of avast! is running

After I input the registration key in the previous window, the second error comes up with 3 messages:
Directory "/home/dnear1/.avast/chect" couldn't be created (error 13: permission denied)
Couldn't create chest in directory "/home/dnear1/.avast/chest".
Error while initializing avast! chest.

When I click OK to that, nothing further happens.  I have tried rebooting and going at it again but same results each time.  My login has administrator rights but it is not the 'root' login

If I go to my home/dnear1/ folder and 'view hidden files', I can see a .avast folder
I can browse the folders but if I view properties it says only 'root' has permissions to that folder..
inside the folder is a "log" folder which is empty, a "moved" folder which is also empty, a "400.vps" file and an "avastrc" file

dnear1

Re: Avast Ubuntu 7.10 similar problems but unresolved
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:54:50 PM »
I also found this quote and tried it:
I'm not on Linux now, but what happens if you run:
sudo avastgui
and give the password?

when I do this, I get two messages in the terminal:
Gdk-WARNING **:locale not supported by XLib
GdK-WARNING **:Can not set locale modifiers

then Avast opens, I am able to update the database and scan the system..
then a "Chest" folder, a "Lockfile-root" appears in the .avast folder.

pupusse

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 10:10:28 AM »
Don't bother with the GUI !!!

I suggest that you use avast in commandline mode  ;) ( that's what I do ) :

su
avast -a -c -t=A <directories or files.....>

the GUI does the same work but the commandline mode is more fitting tne "Linux spirit"  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 11:56:52 AM »
Sorry to disagree, in part.
I think Linux spirit isn't terminal anymore... KDE is here to stay ;)
The best things in life are free.