Author Topic: Could only reach the forums changing my DNS  (Read 15197 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Could only reach the forums changing my DNS
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2023, 04:24:23 PM »
The saga continues again this morning, lots of flip flopping the settings and browser restarts to get into the forum. 

Silence isn't golden it's a pain in the ar5e.

There just doesn't seem to be a specific setting that works all of the time without having to go through this settings and browser restarts flip flop pain.

Could this be the update issue? Maybe its just something they do there and no one can get in, is there any information about the forum servers?

Update of what, nothing has been announced ?
The forum software hasn't been updated.  It certainly can't have anything to do with an Avast program update, as many hold back on program updates.
Quote from: Extract SMF software
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 19:06:14 GMT

SMF 2.1.2 Released
Yet we are still on SMF 2.0.18

Essentially Avast has moved the Forum to an Akamai distributed network.  I don't know why, as the forums when you manage to get on, still have periods of slow loading pages, etc.  So it wouldn't appear to have been that.

Avast have been so bloody silent on this, they must know there are issues (or they simply aren't checking) people getting massive error issues trying to connect to the forums.  These errors must be being recorded somewhere (for statistical purposes at least), but it doesn't look like anyone is monitoring these. Or they have hired the Deaf, Dumb, Blind Kid to monitor the forums whilst he plays pinball.

Avast is asleep at the wheel !
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2023, 10:03:24 AM »
The fact that no reaction has come from Avast suggests they don't monitor the forum very much. Or that they rather wait until we've forgotten.

I can understand, somewhat, that in the weekend things go slower, but it's not the weekend anymore.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2023, 03:19:11 PM »
@ Rundvleeskroket,

These errors are showing us actually how extremely fragile Internet can be at times.

6 weaknesses we have to reckon with.
Internet has to deal with daily problems, but we do not notice until one real big player is involved, like Facebook. Just a few big instances control all of the Interwebz. Attacks or upgrade- and update-errors there could make large parts of the Internet stops functioning. Moreover we now also have to reckon with a proxy war in Europe with possibly world-wide implications, als in cyber-world.

6 weak points -

1. Border Gateway Protocol-Routing issues, AS with BGP=points leaking from time to time.

2. And this may be the case here - Cloudproviders worked by Big Tech players like Google, Microsoft, Amazon,Cloudflare, and yes Akamai.  Remember the Amazon-AWS outing. Even downdetectors-websites went down themselves.

3. Content Delivery Networks - traffic is sorted according to availanle servers.  CDN protects from external attacks. If CDN does not function, none of the websites on it do.

4. DNS does not function as it should. Remember Edge DNS trouble at Akamai's earlier this month,
no big paper websites, no police services, no banking sites available for ye all.

5. Intercontinental cables getting older and also damaged. Also imminent war as a threat factor (North Sea).

6. Trouble at Internet Exchanges (IX). Last year slowed down the AMX (AmsterdamIX) and brought traffic down a 20% minus, long term losses of speed can have serious consequences.
                                                         (quote info source = Dennis Wilman)

What was or is troubling us here, is not known to me. Avast has been silent.
Fact is in the USA connection to the avast forum is not hampered in the least bit,
webproxy from EU server no connection, webproxy from USA connection OK.

Connections in Europe and some other parts of the globe kicks upo errors.

Is there anyone that knows, what is going on here, as it is quite a nuisance to say the least,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Luukjr

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2023, 03:50:49 PM »
@ Rundvleeskroket,

These errors are showing us actually how extremely fragile Internet can be at times.

6 weaknesses we have to reckon with.
Internet has to deal with daily problems, but we do not notice until one real big player is involved, like Facebook. Just a few big instances control all of the Interwebz. Attacks or upgrade- and update-errors there could make large parts of the Internet stops functioning. Moreover we now also have to reckon with a proxy war in Europe with possibly world-wide implications, als in cyber-world.

6 weak points -

1. Border Gateway Protocol-Routing issues, AS with BGP=points leaking from time to time.

2. And this may be the case here - Cloudproviders worked by Big Tech players like Google, Microsoft, Amazon,Cloudflare, and yes Akamai.  Remember the Amazon-AWS outing. Even downdetectors-websites went down themselves.

3. Content Delivery Networks - traffic is sorted according to availanle servers.  CDN protects from external attacks. If CDN does not function, none of the websites on it do.

4. DNS does not function as it should. Remember Edge DNS trouble at Akamai's earlier this month,
no big paper websites, no police services, no banking sites available for ye all.

5. Intercontinental cables getting older and also damaged. Also imminent war as a threat factor (North Sea).

6. Trouble at Internet Exchanges (IX). Last year slowed down the AMX (AmsterdamIX) and brought traffic down a 20% minus, long term losses of speed can have serious consequences.
                                                         (quote info source = Dennis Wilman)

What was or is troubling us here, is not known to me. Avast has been silent.
Fact is in the USA connection to the avast forum is not hampered in the least bit,
webproxy from EU server no connection, webproxy from USA connection OK.

Connections in Europe and some other parts of the globe kicks upo errors.

Is there anyone that knows, what is going on here, as it is quite a nuisance to say the least,

polonus

I just sent a message to Avast, but wonder if there will be a response :(
Soft: Avast Premium Security  / Avast Cleanup / Malwarebytes Premium

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2023, 03:54:44 PM »
What is on Akamai for the IP address 23.215.130.114  SAN
assets-client.avastbrowser.com, assets-client.avgbrowser.com, assets-client.ccleanerbrowser.com, assets.securebrowser.com, autoconfig.decoded.avast.io, autoconfig.engineering.avast.io, autodiscover.decoded.avast.io, autodiscover.engineering.avast.io, avast.ru, avgthreatlabs.com, beta-assets-client.avastbrowser.com, beta-assets-client.avgbrowser.com, beta-assets-client.ccleanerbrowser.com, beta-assets.securebrowser.com, beta-onboarding.avastbrowser.com, beta-onboarding.avgbrowser.com, beta-onboarding.ccleanerbrowser.com, blogs.avg.com, cpanel.decoded.avast.io, cpanel.engineering.avast.io, cpcalendars.decoded.avast.io, cpcalendars.engineering.avast.io, cpcontacts.decoded.avast.io, cpcontacts.engineering.avast.io, decoded.avast.io, dev-assets-client.avastbrowser.com, dev-assets-client.avgbrowser.com, dev-assets-client.ccleanerbrowser.com, dev-assets.securebrowser.com, dev-onboarding.avastbrowser.com, dev-onboarding.avgbrowser.com, dev-onboarding.ccleanerbrowser.com, engineering.avast.io, explabs.com, forum.avast.com, gradient.avast.io, onboarding.avastbrowser.com, onboarding.avgbrowser.com, onboarding.ccleanerbrowser.com, order.partners.avg.com, press.avast.ru, san-ion.avast.com, secure.grisoft.com, t.av.st, tune-up.com, tune-up.it, tuneup-software.co.uk, tuneup.de, tuneup.es, tuneup.kr, tuneup.mx, tuneup.pl, tuneup.ru, webdisk.decoded.avast.io, webdisk.engineering.avast.io, webmail.decoded.avast.io, webmail.engineering.avast.io, etc. etc.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2023, 05:36:53 PM »
Seems like access to forum is unrelaible for past few days, for me anyhow.
Not good for avast reputation as I have seen questions asked on other websites about "avast forum down"
I have just got back in after not being able to. This seems to be the norm. I have not made any changes my end, so assume it is server related.
Not being able to access the forum, I sent "feedback" via avast app, stating forum was down.
Dissapointing not seeing any response by avast staff on the forum,
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 05:41:29 PM by rocksteady »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2023, 06:51:46 PM »
So far no response on Slack either. ???

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2023, 07:11:49 PM »
So far no response on Slack either. ???
One response, you posted ditto to my request for some input. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2023, 07:23:42 PM »
<snip>
I have just got back in after not being able to. This seems to be the norm. I have not made any changes my end, so assume it is server related.
<snip>

It has been like this for over 8 days now if my memory isn't failing like the forums.

You need to read the topic to see it is related to Avast move to have the forums connections served by Akamai's Distributed Network service.

There has be extremely little Avast presence in the forum for some considerable time.  I'm not sure if you will see (but I think not) the lack of activity but "There are currently 28 moderator reports open."  These are generally reported by Evangelists, etc. to have some Avast input that we Avast users can't respond to.  This has been growing steadily, so much so I have stopped using this function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline reddyshyam

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2023, 07:29:23 PM »
Hi,

Good day! Someone please look at the below thread at wilders regarding DNS issues on Avast. Just surprised that its been going on for a while now and yet no official statement from the team.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/avast-versions-releases.391826/page-26
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 07:32:49 PM by reddyshyam »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2023, 07:29:47 PM »
<snip>
<snip>

It has been like this for over 8 days now if my memory isn't failing like the forums.

You need to read the topic to see it is related to Avast move to have the forums connections served by Akamai's Distributed Network service.

There has be extremely little Avast presence in the forum for some considerable time.  I'm not sure if you will see (but I think not) the lack of activity but "There are currently 28 moderator reports open."  These are generally reported by Evangelists, etc. to have some Avast input that we Avast users can't respond to.  This has been growing steadily, so much so I have stopped using this function.

It appears, that for some time now, the forum has been a 'Non Priority' to/for Avast.
It aint the community forum many of us so fondly remember. :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2023, 10:12:01 PM »
Only had access through a webproxy now.
Normally trying to go there, I meet with this
An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #102.f621302.1677013595.49dafb8

Why cannot avast explain where this re-occurinbg error stems from?
Akamai won't tell us, we have to hear it from the horse's mouth.

As schmidthouse contemplates, is the scheme to let the forums actually go 'bonkers'?

polonus

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2023, 07:52:15 AM »
Still no go from most european locations.

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #102.a47232b8.1677048656.633027

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2023, 01:13:51 PM »
Well the worst part after lots of flip flopping network settings and browser restarts, I got in and replied to the post above, on clicking Post, guess what, damn error and dumped out on my arse.

Lets see if it works now.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2023, 01:42:11 PM »
European Union will now reconsider using American Cloud-services,
and could come up with their own European Cloud.

However decentralise is the way to go i.m.h.o.

Tik Tok feared now as a way that can eventually read user's emotions.

Government officials on this and the other side of the big pond,
should therefore refrain from using Tik Tok.

Using the book 1984 as a manual in stead of using it as an imminent warning.

Who does not learn from history, is bound to repeat it in some way or aspect.

polonus