Author Topic: Avast Chrome extension  (Read 1510 times)

Online Dinobot2

Avast Chrome extension
« on: February 19, 2023, 04:41:47 AM »
Is this extension, that came along with Avast Free starting some time in 2021, necessary for Web Shield to work? Or is it just an extra add-on that runs independent of the Avast UI? Am I safe to remove this extension and not cause any issues with the Web Shield?

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: Avast Chrome extension
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 08:46:55 AM »
I don't use Chrome, but I doubt you need the extension. My Firefox doesn't have it, and Web Shield in Avast Free works fine.

Online Dinobot2

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 02:35:25 AM »
Cool. Removed. Worst case I can always re-add it from the Chrome web store if I really need it, although it seems like it was more of a supplemental tool to tell you about trackers and ads you were getting on each website.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 03:06:38 AM by Dinobot2 »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 04:43:43 AM »
Cool. Removed. Worst case I can always re-add it from the Chrome web store if I really need it, although it seems like it was more of a supplemental tool to tell you about trackers and ads you were getting on each website.

Yup you're good to go :)

Offline connorball1h2

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 12:54:58 PM »
Is this extension, that came along with Avast Free starting some time in 2021, necessary for Web Shield to work? Or is it just an extra add-on that runs independent of the Avast UI? Am I safe to remove this extension and not cause any issues with the Web Shield?

I did this and nothing happened, probably won't hurt, but better to have it.

Online Dinobot2

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 05:09:27 PM »

I did this and nothing happened, probably won't hurt, but better to have it.

Did what part, specifically?

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 10:00:28 AM »
Can't Chrome disable extensions without deleting them? Firefox can. That would be an easy way to see if the extension actually does something useful.

Online Dinobot2

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 01:50:10 AM »
Depends on the extension, but I don't think the Avast one is one you can keep in your Chrome browser while 'disabled' the way you can with, say, AdBlock Plus.