Author Topic: Avast! MAC + Apple Mail Application  (Read 31160 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast! MAC + Apple Mail Application
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 03:21:22 AM »
Thanks, worked, let me see whether problem with the system still persists.
There are, in fact, two Avast files in ~/Library/Preferences.

When you post next release, please add an uninstaller, as uninstalling Avast! is not trivial.
No, I do not have Norton on my mac, why for? I was just curious whether Avast! may detect Windows viruses, detected none, but meanwhile I had a problem with my sys, and I suspect Avast! may be the cause.

Thanks / Děkuji

In fact most Mac apps do not have a uninstaller. Thats why lots of people use AppZapper - http://www.appzapper.com/
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 12:28:31 PM »
Thanks, worked, let me see whether problem with the system still persists.
There are, in fact, two Avast files in ~/Library/Preferences.

When you post next release, please add an uninstaller, as uninstalling Avast! is not trivial.
No, I do not have Norton on my mac, why for? I was just curious whether Avast! may detect Windows viruses, detected none, but meanwhile I had a problem with my sys, and I suspect Avast! may be the cause.

Thanks / Děkuji

In fact most Mac apps do not have a uninstaller. Thats why lots of people use AppZapper - http://www.appzapper.com/

Such suspicion has usually no real background, yes, people tend to blame the antivirus for any strange thing that happened to their system after installation of the AV-product. But, to correct your statements:

- MacAvast catches, of course, the whole range of windows viruses - try http://public.avast.com/~cimbal/notvirus.bin (not a virus, only EICAR testing pattern)
- that infamous kernel-crash screen of death (which tells you to turn the machine off) is THE ONLY THING which could be eventually Avast! for Mac blamed for. In all other aspects, Avast! works like well-behaved userspace application which does by itself nothing that you don't want to do...

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

altero

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 10:57:57 PM »
I registred here only to say that in situations like this, I wish that it would be possible for some organisation to forbid such companies like yours to exist!

Today I found that Avast is to blame for making Mail.app rebuild its database so often. I find this a major flaw in your product, something like that should not be released. At least you could post a visible note in the installer, or your web site.

Now, waiting for the confirmation mail, I was reading a bit here. And to my surprise, I see a moderator saying that Avast is a good thing, it's not to be blamed for any thing, but kernel-panicking Mac OS!!! The worst nightmare.

Shame on you! You should go out of this business.  >:( :-X

Offline SMPlante

• Avast! newbie
    • Les Services Michel Plante
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »
altero,

I do not agree with your bad comment, and I'm sure a lot of other Avast! users are not too.

??? Think a little bit

Why do you think Avast! take the time to have this kind of Public forum ?

This forum is a way to help Avast! user's when problem occur and to improve their product.

You wrote that you specialy registered to this forum to write your frustration in this discussion.

Have you tryied to get support from Avast ?

Did you open a Topic (in this forum) regarding your problem ?  May be Avast! or another user could help you ?

Did you think that may be your problem is not generated by the use of Avast! ?  If you are the only one with this problem, what do you think ?

From my experience (over 30years in computer business) and probably your's, it's very difficult to get a software without bug.

So when you find a company who's taking the time to listen and respond to their customer like Avast! do, instead of blaming them for anything happening, you should be more positive and help solving the problem you currently have.

You will be surprise how much the solidarity (Avast! + this forum + positive user) is powerfull.....

So if you do not have anything positive to help us or at least a little good word for Avast!, please do not even respond to this post.

Despite your comment, I wish you will solve your problem and become a very happy Avast! user.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »
Now, waiting for the confirmation mail, I was reading a bit here. And to my surprise, I see a moderator saying that Avast is a good thing, it's not to be blamed for any thing, but kernel-panicking Mac OS!!! The worst nightmare.

Shame on you! You should go out of this business.  >:( :-X

Please, don't tweak my words - I said that the scanner is a well-behaved userspace application that simply can't harm your system or other application without your permission. There's only one deep-in-the-system key-part, but any unexpected malfunction in this part would show up different way, and the system would probably halt. That's apparently not the case that you have mentioned.

vast doesn't modify any file without user's permission so it's with the highest probability not responsible for Mail's database rebuildning. But anyway, you should:

1) turn the mail support off to test this (in Preferences)
2) turn the whole mail binding off (= temporarily rename the GetRuleScript.txt file in /Applications/Avast!.app/Contents/Resources)
3) turn the after-close mechanism off (in Preferences)

Regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)