Author Topic: Avast Overseer  (Read 5209 times)

Offline zfiser

• Avast team
Re: Avast Overseer
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2023, 10:21:34 AM »
hello again,
we believe it issue has been identified and will be corrected in the nearest possible timeframe but allow me to ask
one more additional question -

is the overseer internet and/or network connection blocked somehow? maybe with a firewall?

thank you again for helping us

in a private message I sent a link to download the dump  files

Offline buchtik

• Homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2023, 12:10:09 PM »
Aside from the internet connection... there's no consciously set rule like that. I'm tracking the problem on a Lenovo Thinkcentre neo 70 t i7 with Windows 11 Pro. Both the computer and the OS use more advanced protection systems, which I don't see too much into.

In the firewall rules I found two rules for Avast UI (TCP-in and UDP-in) all yes enable,  Overseer is not in the rules. I run the PC as User, I don't remember any messages indicating collisions on the firewall

Complete export of the list of rules in - out is in attachement. Or you need to guide me what and where to check.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 12:22:14 PM by buchtik »
In nomine domini Dei et salvatoris nostri Iesu Christi. Meledicus sit ibicunque fuerit, sit domo, sive in agro, sive in via, sive in semita, sive in aqua, sive in ecclesia.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2023, 01:58:27 AM »
I always used to delete overseer.exe and its related scheduled task after every update of Avast. Then, a few months ago, I let it be to see if it would behave. It went well for a while, but then...

Today, I noticed that my PC was very slow when starting programs. Turns out overseer.exe was maxing out a core permanently, and massively slowing down every other process trying to run.

Even with almost all programs closed, overseer.exe kept hogging a core at max load. An otherwise idle PC, and overseer.exe just going full send. Great.

The fix was the same one that I used to employ previously: completely remove overseer.exe. Instantly performance was restored.

Maybe in a year I'll give it another try. Until then overseer.exe gets rooted out first thing after an update.

Offline buchtik

• Homepage
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2023, 07:51:40 AM »
 I communicated with support for a long time and provided them with the necessary debug information.  they found some problem that should be remedied and removed by now.  I have a problem and it doesn't show anymore
In nomine domini Dei et salvatoris nostri Iesu Christi. Meledicus sit ibicunque fuerit, sit domo, sive in agro, sive in via, sive in semita, sive in aqua, sive in ecclesia.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2023, 04:27:25 PM »
I know. I'm not going to do that. So I'll just hope overseer gets fixed and try again sometime in the future.

Offline buchtik

• Homepage
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2023, 06:00:02 PM »
So I don't know, I thought the problem was completely fixed. 

After waking up the computer it's fine, after a cold start Overseer takes 8-16% for a few tens of minutes on the CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700. Including Avast Service to 10-20% of the CPU. For how powerful a CPU it is the top is quite a lot. The complete CPU utilization of an unloaded computer is 40%.

EDIT

There is persistent communication over the network, but it is not identified to any process in Task manager.  This activity lasted more than an hour ... Exactly 65 minut

« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 07:32:14 PM by buchtik »

Offline zfiser

• Avast team
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2023, 11:18:37 AM »
hello again and thank you all for your patience; update for Overseer has been released and should arrive within a few days at the latest. To find out if you have the latest version, check properties of overseer.exe and the Details tab should show version 1.0.473.0

Offline buchtik

• Homepage
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2023, 06:22:15 PM »
Yes, this version overseer come yesterday 17:20