Author Topic: ashWebSv, firewall certifications  (Read 2857 times)

Sebsk

ashWebSv, firewall certifications
« on: January 02, 2008, 12:54:27 AM »
(...)Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe seems to be eating a lot of bandwith at times, after the last program update.
Is this an illusion? It used up to 60% of the bandwith while I used either/both LimeWire and IE. I think this is a bit much for an active scanner.. at the moment it's at 5,4% so I'm happy.

Also, not all executables are signed as safe with COMODO but I guess that belongs on their forums.

Mod: I would also like to know if the built-in processes of the On-Access Protection Control use their own executables and what the different Avast! executables (like ashWebSv) actually does, as I can't seem to find information on this anywhere else.

Would be nice to know if I want to do anything related to these exe. files (allow access/block/terminate etc.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 12:58:39 AM by Sebsk »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ashWebSv, firewall certifications
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 01:11:33 AM »
It used up to 60% of the bandwith while I used either/both LimeWire and IE.
It does not 'use' bandwidth, it scans it. It works like a proxy, all traffic (http) passes through it to be scanned.

Mod: I would also like to know if the built-in processes of the On-Access Protection Control use their own executables
Yes. ashServ.exe is the Standard Shield; ashMaiSv.exe the Mail scanner; ashWebSv.exe the WebShield. Other providers uses ashServ.exe as well.

and what the different Avast! executables (like ashWebSv) actually does, as I can't seem to find information on this anywhere else. Would be nice to know if I want to do anything related to these exe. files (allow access/block/terminate etc.)
Do you mean into the firewall settings?

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service). Although, ashServ.exe sends ping packets to find out if the Internet connection is alive. You can turn this off by checking the "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet" box in the avast Program Settings > Update (Connections) page.
The best things in life are free.

Sebsk

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:06:12 AM »
Aha thanks a lot it really helped - but ashWebSv is still showing up in "traffic" in COMODO summary (along with a tiny percent svchost etc.) so it must use some bandwith then? And I've read several cases where having WebShield turned on decreases the speed of internet browsing? Or am I wrong?

I am using Windows XP, not Vista, and mostly use IE.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »
Aha thanks a lot it really helped - but ashWebSv is still showing up in "traffic" in COMODO summary (along with a tiny percent svchost etc.) so it must use some bandwith then?
No. Some Internet application (even Windows Update, for instance or any other) is using (or listening) Internet through port 80 (http traffic) and it's being scanned.

And I've read several cases where having WebShield turned on decreases the speed of internet browsing? Or am I wrong?
In some cases, yes. It takes resources. You must choose the balance between protection (security) and resources usage. Generally, it's not a perceptible change having it on.
The best things in life are free.