Author Topic: Continuing efforts to upsell me  (Read 892 times)

Offline Scot

Continuing efforts to upsell me
« on: March 07, 2023, 01:40:15 AM »
I stopped using Norton and a couple of other "brand name" AVs with additional tools.

I left because they kept notifying me of alleged security or privacy leaks.

Then I started in Security myself and found these were all false positives- had top check them but it was getting to the point that I was checking out these silly notifications. I *do* use a VPN. just not yours, a better one, yet you keep trying to sell me a VPN client. Same for Email, black-web and the like.

I thought going back to my favorite would eliminate this crap and waste of my time. But, no, it's getting worse.

I need you to please provide me with the ability to turn all this crap off, ALL of it or I'm going to have to ask for a refund.

Pretty cool gimmick making your user perform circular navigation trying to get to you. Above all, ignore your users and foist support on their shoulders. I too am an IT professional and find this as abhorrent treatment of your customers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Continuing efforts to upsell me
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 02:46:30 AM »
Paid versions should have the ability to stop this, were we Avast free user are very limited.

Avast UI > Menu > Settings > Personal Privacy - I think here you can stop offers for other products.
I can't confirm this being an avast free user some of the options aren't on my UI.

Personally I feel these should be disabled on paid user installations by default.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 02:50:44 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 04:04:40 AM »
The upselling scare tactics are what prevents me from recommending Avast to a more novice user who may be scared into buying additional Premium stuff they don't need.

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 11:53:52 AM »
As David has mentioned, you can turn these off in settings. And i agree, this should be defaulted to off on paid versions.

untick offers

Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.