Author Topic: Scaling Issue Prevents Avast Renewal  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Aurum

Scaling Issue Prevents Avast Renewal
« on: April 04, 2023, 05:51:53 PM »
I am trying to renew Avast Free AV. Ever since the UI change was pushed to my desktop a few years ago, I've had scaling issues with the Avast app. I run a 1440p monitor, but regardless of resolution the scaling issue stays the same.

Everything is scaling incorrectly with the app (way to big), and I'm unable to scroll down to click the renew free option. I've attached relevant screenshots with version / resolution settings / issue.

PLEASE HELP! I have one day left before the forced expiration on free AV takes place (side point: makes no sense to expire free AV / require renewal)

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 05:54:24 PM by Aurum »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scaling Issue Prevents Avast Renewal
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 07:59:36 PM »
Are you running two monitors  ?

I do as I have a 15.6" FullHD 1080p laptop and I use the HDMI port to my 27" QHD 1440P Monitor.  But I don't use both screens only displaying the 2nd 27" QHD 1440P Monitor and that is fine.

If I unplug the HDMI cable to the Monitor it falls back to displaying on the Laptop screen.  That is a little messed up in that the open app windows aren't in the same location, but the scaling is 1080P.

So the Avast UI sizes are pretty much the same on either screen.  Only a few days ago did I update my Avast Free registration with no issue. 
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Aurum

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 08:13:21 PM »
Are you running two monitors  ?

I do as I have a 15.6" FullHD 1080p laptop and I use the HDMI port to my 27" QHD 1440P Monitor.  But I don't use both screens only displaying the 2nd 27" QHD 1440P Monitor and that is fine.

If I unplug the HDMI cable to the Monitor it falls back to displaying on the Laptop screen.  That is a little messed up in that the open app windows aren't in the same location, but the scaling is 1080P.

So the Avast UI sizes are pretty much the same on either screen.  Only a few days ago did I update my Avast Free registration with no issue. 

Hi David,

Thanks for the response, I'm running 3x 1440p monitors all exactly the same model, default scaling in Windows 10. I have no issues with other apps, and have tried repairing / updating Avast without any luck.

That "your avast free antivirus will expire in x days" in yellow text option also scales incorrectly and I can't click the "continue with free option", nor can I select free AV because it's cut off. 

How do I tell Avast to not scale? If I try changing the setting on the executable, it undoes it immediately, and I see no scaling options within the app itself (unlike other applications like Office / Steam / etc).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 10:26:49 PM »
As far as I'm aware there is no scaling function in Avast.

I have even looked in the Avast Settings, type  "geek:area" without the quotes in the search window and enter. 

The only thing I saw that might be vaguely connected might be in the Do Not Disturb Mode section at the start but that relates to Disable Draw over window, but I suspect not.  Though from your image, it appears that you have set Avast to Do Not Disturb.

Your UI Images are also different to mine, but:
1.  I actioned mine immediately on the 12 warning.
2.  Mine had Renewal Options button and a "Continue with Free" in the very first screen, which I used to get to the second screen.
3.  Your initial screenshot of the Main UI screen is 1001x673 which appears to be very close to my first screenshot at 1010x674 and I didn't resize my screen capture to attach it.

Now as you can see from my signature below my posts I'm still using avast! free 23.1.6049 (build 23.1.7883.774) UI 1.0.746.  I generally hold back on new updates, depending on what the update contains, is it a function I use, a bug fix that impacts me or closing a vulnerability.  What version are you currently using ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 12:02:10 AM »
Have you tried completely removing Avast Free and doing a fresh install? Use AvastClear. Maybe then it'll be fixed. Plus you'll have a year before Avast start bugging you again about renewing.

Offline Aurum

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 02:56:24 AM »
Strangely enough, I signed into my PC after posting this thread, and the issue is now gone and it's scaling properly. I've had the scaling issue for the past year, and today of all days it finally decides to just fix itself. I was able to get it renewed, thanks everything for the help. Unfortunately not sure what fixed it, but I'm good until next year I guess lol.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 11:56:00 AM »
You're welcome, very weird.