Author Topic: How to update avast! HE providers without Internet connection  (Read 5617 times)

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
How to update avast! HE providers without Internet connection
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:13:42 AM »
Hi all! How are you? ;)

On the Russian forum about avast! we discussed the subject of this topic.
We found that 400.vps can be replaced with new one very easily, but it doesn't update avast! provider. To do it we need to replase folder "Setup", but than (before reboot!) we have to immediately update avast! via Internet because avast! won't work properly. This way can save traffic - avast! download just a few Kb. Then after reboot we have avast! with the newest providers.
But how can be updated avast! without any Internet connection? We thought that it's impossible.

One user with nik fregl24 has found a way: обновление модулей программы Аваст!
He suggested next:
1. Stop all avast! providers.
2. Replace the folder "Setup" with new one.
3. Go to "Start -> Control panel -> Install/De install programs -> avast! -> De install -> Repair" (I'm sorry for my translate - I have a Russian localisation of the Windows XP).
4. Reboot.
That's all! No Internet connection need's! ;D
Yesterday I tried and all work fine. But avast! must be installed in the same folder!

What avast! developers can say on it? Can you put on your site folder "Setup" with the newest version of the avast! providers, that anybody could download it?

P.S.: avast! at that time has another bug - if somebody installs it in the folder with Russian symbols avast! won't work because it can't find ways to it's providers :(
Can you fix it?

P.P.S.: I'm sorry for my English, thx ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: How to update avast! HE providers without Internet connection
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:27:12 PM »
I may be missing something, but why something that complicated?
To update avast! virus database off-line (i.e. without an Internet connection), just download the VpsUpd.exe file from our web:
http://www.avast.com/eng/update_avast_4_vps.html
Put the file on some media, transfer it to the off-line computer and run it - it will do everything necessary to update the database.

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 11:43:39 PM »
Hi, igor! Thx for your answer.

By using VpsUpd.exe user can update only avast! virus database, but the programs will be old anyway. When you copy folder "Setup" (as I've mentioned earlier) you can update avast! programs (i.e. resident providers).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 11:45:11 PM by sergofun »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:36:41 AM »
but the programs will be old anyway.
Then just download the latest version from www.avast.com, and do what Igor said (Put the file on some media, transfer it to the off-line computer)

Seems easier then your solution.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 03:07:02 PM »
Hi, Bluesman.

Quote from: Bluesman
Then just download the latest version from www.avast.com, and do what Igor said (Put the file on some media, transfer it to the off-line computer)

Seems easier then your solution.

I agree with you. It much more easier, but if you have Internet. Also, it can't save your traffic.

I've just showed another way to update avast! resident providers. You can use it when you want to reinstall your copy of the Windows, but you have updated avast! a few hours (minits) ago.

It's just another way and you is who decides which you need to use.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:22:35 PM »
Well, you asked for our opinion in the first post - and the opinion is that this method is strange, possibly unreliable (for some updates, it may not perform all the operations a real update would) and certainly unsupported (i.e. even if it works now, it may stop working at any time).

Besides, you have to transfer the files from another computer (with Internet connection) anyway, so I'd find it better to simply download the full installer that has the real update option.

If you have a bigger network with some computers (gateway) connected and the rest isolated, you can use ADNM with mirrors to handle this task.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 03:32:15 PM »
Besides, you have to transfer the files from another computer (with Internet connection) anyway, so I'd find it better to simply download the full installer that has the real update option.
I feel (and do in fact) the same. I have off-line computers and use vpsupd.exe and the full setup.exe for programs updates.
The best things in life are free.

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 05:44:48 PM »
Quote from: igor
this method is strange, possibly unreliable (for some updates, it may not perform all the operations a real update would) and certainly unsupported (i.e. even if it works now, it may stop working at any time).
Ou, I see.

Thx all of you for your replies.