Author Topic: Bank Mode bottom bar now shows icons for Firefox and Avast SecureBrowser  (Read 1556 times)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Why is the Firefox icon in the bottom bar? Has Avast bestowed Avast SecureBrowser security on Firefox?

Hmmmmmmm!  (There now follows a long pause while both of my brain cells ponder this)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I think I get it.  Firefox runs under the SecureBrowser environment with the extra protection that entails?  If this is the case, I will be very pleased because a hardened Firefox, especially ESR, will be SECURE.

Am I right?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 11:58:15 AM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
Another quandary.  Avast Secure Browser reports its version status as: -

"Avast Secure Browser is up to date
Version 109.0.19987.120 (Official Build) (beta) (64-bit)"

Really?  I thought that it was supposed to be version 110.

I have just downloaded the installer and that makes no difference.  Still version 109!

I will keep a trial version of a spare Windows 10 system to observe developments.  I wanted Avast SecureBrowser in order to actually use it.  I don't think that it is really ready for use as I intended but I will keep tabs on it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 01:00:18 PM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline Misha Zekovova

• Quality Assurance Engineer
  • Avast team
Hello,
with last AV release there's this problem with other browsers that slipped our attention, sorry for this. We're on it.
If you're using Free Antivirus I would advise to proceed using Avast browser.

About the browser's version, can you please share your diagnostic information from secure://settings/help and paste it here? Thank you.

Sorry for inconveniences caused!

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
Hi Misha.  Firefox 108.2.0 ESR en-gb 64bit works OK in SecureBrowser.  I can't use the Avast browser because no icon for that appears in the bottom bar.

All browsers which are not Firefox are of the Chromium stable. Google is the effective controller. I have read that the code used in Chromium browsers is not open source whereas Firefox is developed using open source code which is scrutinised by a large number of knowledgeable people and is found not to contain 'tricks'.

When SecureBrowser settles down to stability, I might resume trialling it.  Personally, I would like to see it develop as a secure environment in which to more securely run Firefox.  That would be an unbeatable secure combination.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 08:45:45 PM by loungehake »