Author Topic: Thunderbird asks for security exceptions after EVERY restart  (Read 878 times)

Offline Phil_C

Thunderbird asks for security exceptions after EVERY restart
« on: March 18, 2023, 09:48:16 PM »
The Thunderbird mail program prompts about security exceptions after EVERY restart of my PC.

Worse, sometimes it checks for mail and appears to be working properly but receives no mail.  Hours later I will notice mail for the same accounts on a different device.  So I go back to Thunderbird and ask specific accounts to check for mail, whereupon it asks for the darn security exception again.  Then the missing mail pours in.

This is with the latest Avast Free 23.2, the latest Thunderbird 102.9, and Win 11 Pro.  I have Comcast and GMail accounts.  It has been happening for a couple of months.

I see others here have had similar problems and solved them.  I've tried everything with no success.  I most recently uninstalled Avast in Safe Mode with AvastClear, then reinstalled.  I previously deleted exceptions and the Avast Authority in Thunderbird, exported the certificate from Avast and imported to Thunderbird.  The problem remains.

(If I turn off Avast Mail Shield, everything works perfectly.)

Maybe someone here can give me a clue.  Please!

Offline Phil_C

Re: Thunderbird asks for security exceptions after EVERY restart
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 07:31:28 PM »
SOLVED!

I looked again at this page...

https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/91/#artTitle

...and found that I missed something while importing the Avast certificate into Thunderbird.  The box "Trust this CA to identify websites" needed to be checked.

I restarted my PC and all appears to be working properly.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Thunderbird asks for security exceptions after EVERY restart
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 08:19:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and confirmation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security