Author Topic: Avast high CPU usage and constantly writing log  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Martin00

Avast high CPU usage and constantly writing log
« on: March 22, 2023, 07:50:45 PM »
Avast is taking up lots of resources when creating thousands of lines a  minute in selfdef.log file.

In that log file it writes Load of \device\harddiskvolume5\program files (x86)\common files\iobit\iobit malware fighter\imfph64.dll module prevented. [C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe][4] in every line.

Also I can't open Avast UI after the update.

As usual. New version - new problems (and old ones won't go away).

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Avast high CPU usage and constantly writing log
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 02:51:20 PM »
I am not familiar, but is iobit malware fighter another AV program?
Is it having a fight with Avast?
It is not a good idea to have more than one real-time antivirus products running.
See this: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=211973.0

Offline Martin00

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 04:56:28 PM »
I have always used them both. Only now there is some issue with Avast. Only after the last update. And high cpu usage is always after I try to open Avast UI that never opens now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 05:28:40 PM »
So now you see that eventually having more than one resident/active AV is likely to lead to conflict.
Quote from: Martin00
\program files (x86)\common files\iobit\iobit malware fighter\imfph64.dll module prevented. [C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe]

It is iobit blocking/trying to close the AvastUI.exe file, this is the Avast user interface, if iobit blocks it avast is going to continue trying to load (and or the avast self defence module trying to prevent iobit closing it) it as you requested it. This would lead to iobit trying to block again and again and again in a loop.

Personally I would get rid of iobit or you are going to have to  add exclusions in iobit for avastUI.exe to prevent it trying to close causing this conflict.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 05:30:31 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Martin00

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 06:16:00 PM »
I guess you are right DavidR.

I have whitelisted Avast dir and everything seems to be fine now. Thank you.

But its weird how Avast writes such a huge log file and claiming my resources.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 07:48:47 PM »
I guess you are right DavidR.

I have whitelisted Avast dir and everything seems to be fine now. Thank you.

But its weird how Avast writes such a huge log file and claiming my resources.

You're welcome.

As far as the log goes, as I can't see it I can't really say.  But as I mentioned before when there is a battle going on between two resident AV's the activity and reporting in the logs grows too.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security