Author Topic: URL Scam  (Read 26672 times)

Offline chris115

URL Scam
« on: March 24, 2023, 10:47:13 AM »
Hi

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm sure somebody can sort it out

Avast keeps flagging up

Threat Secured. We've safely aborted connection on base2.sv.tribal-envoy.com because it was infected with a URL:Scam

Whilst I'm very happy that Avast has warned me of this problem it's not actually telling me why this problem is occurring or how I can stop it. It is getting very annoying.

Only seems to occur when I'm using Chrome.
The details show that the threat is URL: Scam
URL is base2.sv.tribal-envoy.com/api2/m/debug
Process C:\Program Files\
(x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\Chrome.exe

Can anybody assist me in removing this?

Best regards

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: URL Scam
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 11:20:44 AM »
Try cleaning the browser cache and cookies, then set the browser to block 3rd party cookies.

Offline chris115

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 12:39:28 PM »
Thanks for that CraigB.

Alas it doesn't seem to be that simple

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 12:45:59 PM »
My only other thought would be checking for any suspicious extensions that may be calling home only when the browser is open.

Offline chris115

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 02:30:57 PM »
Mmmm can't see anything

I'm going to try and contact Google.

Thanks for your suggestions

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 06:30:53 PM »
Try running your browser with extensions/add-ons disabled.
If that resolves the problem then one of your extensions/add-ons could be responsible, finding it is more complex as you would have to enable the extensions/add-ons one by one.

Also try running your browser in Private mode.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chris115

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 08:59:22 PM »
Many thanks CraigB and DavidR

The extension responsible is WebRTC Leak Shield it appears. I disabled it and AVAST has not thrown any errors up

Again many thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 10:47:25 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 06:08:49 PM »
The extension responsible is WebRTC Leak Shield it appears. I disabled it and AVAST has not thrown any errors up
Probably best to delete the WebRTC Leak Shield extension, it's had no updates since September 2021 which suggests it's been abandoned.

Offline crashvelvet

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 10:56:58 AM »
I just developed this same problem! I do a lot of streaming and am very well-protected with UBlock Origin, Bitdefender Anti-Tracker and the free version of Avast. In the last few months, many sites throw the URL Scam (well Avast throws the messages that it has blocked the Scam). What is blocked is constantly different and sometimes I can't even get into a site because the URL itself is a "Scam" or a socket is a "Scam."

I upgraded to Avast Premium for the free two-month trial which just ended. It made no difference in re to this issue. I am getting down. I feel like my computer is infected. I saw that a Coupon extension was running, it must have downloaded with another program. turning it off and deleting it did not make any changes to the scam messages. I started snipping the messages and saving them but it became ridiculous. There are so many! Maybe the streaming sites I visit are infected with an adware virus.

When the issue first started, it was only on one particular site that also incorporated discus for comments. I received a lot of Discus scam messages and then Discus disappeared from the pages that have comments. I see no comments now, and I have to say, it is refreshing not to see all the inane negative political remarks when the site has nothing to do with politics. Ya know the drill!

I don't know what else to say. The bell on the Avast warning messages is so loud, I jump out of my seat sometimes. Now sites that I have been going to for 5 years throw messages. What's going on! I, of course, followed the advice above - no change, alas.

Thank you!