Author Topic: Avast! 5 Beta  (Read 80482 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! 5 Beta
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 08:00:29 PM »
The skins from avast! 4 won't work there.
Loose the skinning ability is sad... Hope you can find another alternative.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 08:02:32 PM »
With very high probability, skin support will be dropped from avast 5.
This decision has been made after a long consideration (we uderstand that it won't make happy some people but we still believe it will be a good move for avast and the vast majority of its users).

Plus, there have been some extra problems with the skins in terms of supportability (descirbing the UI wasn't that straightforward etc).

While I don't (personally) agree with RejZor that AntiVir's GUI is good, I'm quite confident the new avast GUI will make him very happy as it will fit his description quite well while still looking somewhat cool... ;)

Anyway, please don't ask us for exact schedules. It is simply too early. E.g. the GUI's development has started only very recently, so it will take quite some time before we have something that can actually be "tested"...

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 08:14:44 PM »
Well, i'm sure there is room for improvement even for AntiVir GUI but i found it's tabbed interface to be quiet friendly to navigate and centralized settings easy to find and manage (similar applies to KAV6 and KAV7 interface). Vlk, don't forget to post some screenshots of the GUI when it's mainly done in "you know where", so we can check it out and maybe give some feedback :)
I think these dev-user feedback has created some very positive results so far :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 12:21:03 AM »
So, just to recap... avast 5 is due later this year... ;) :D

Happy New Year to everyone! :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

sanctuary24

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 12:24:56 AM »
Well if the skins wont work is the standard default one for version 5 going to be neat and clean looking?

lenny24

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 12:38:18 AM »
So, just to recap... avast 5 is due later this year... ;) :D

Happy New Year to everyone! :)

Any chance you can make the default gui look exactly like terminal 0010? Or hire the guy who made that skin to do the gui  ;D

Either that or have new skin support for version 5, and the t0010 guy can redo it.  ;D

sanctuary24

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 02:02:25 AM »
Vlk (or anyone from Alwil team) will Avast 5 be able to be installed over the current version or will it require us to remove the current version, its just that having to remove one can cause issues with registry entries not being fully removed and I personally would like it to be able to upgrade the current version without having to do any uninstalling

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 02:04:25 AM »
You'll just have to use integrated updater for that task. It always updated avast! regardles of how major upgrade there was...

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 02:16:43 AM »
I hope if you do use HIPS there will be a opt out tick box or something as some of us already have HIPS from firewalls and 2 HIPS running together is not a great idea.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

lenny24

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 02:18:23 AM »
You know, the skins, and especially for me Terminal 0010 really give avast its personality. You guys should reconsider your skin decision, or at the very least make the new default gui exactly like terminal 0010. I can't stress this enough.  ;D

stevey

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 02:54:47 AM »
I hope it's not going to be a resource hog. :-\

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 03:20:44 AM »
You'll just have to use integrated updater for that task. It always updated avast! regardles of how major upgrade there was...

Actually, this is probably not going to be the case for the update to avast! 5. You don't have to worry about possible conflicts, the installer won't let you install it without uninstalling the previous version first, maybe it will offer some kind of a migration tool (don't know), but it probably won't be handled like a usual program update - for technical reasons.

Anyway, it's too early to be worried about this.

Any chance you can make the default gui look exactly like terminal 0010? Or hire the guy who made that skin to do the gui  ;D

Sorry, this is not going to happen. The program will look very different - so it won't really be like any of the existing looks.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 09:36:59 AM »
igor, as long as it can check for update and maybe direct user to new download it's still fine.
I really hate Kaspersky way of updating program. Signatures are ok but program updates like crap (you always have to do it manually for a bit bigger updates, uninstalling, installing, eh). avast! updated everything automatically so far from 4.0 up to current 4.7. Just reboot and voila. Any chance of auto-uninstall of older version and instalaltion of v5 in one snap? So users won't have to do everything by hand (thats bad :P ).

MrRAlan

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 04:16:40 PM »
Well, i'm sure there is room for improvement even for AntiVir GUI but i found it's tabbed interface to be quiet friendly to navigate and centralized settings easy to find and manage (similar applies to KAV6 and KAV7 interface).

Actually, I find the current avast interface easier to manage than KAV6.  KAV6 is much more complex.  I hope Avast 5 maintains the user-friendly interface.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »
avast! is certanly not easier. Settings split to On-Access interface and Simple Interface (On-Demand) don't make it any easier...