Author Topic: Is it possible to hijack Avast  (Read 877 times)

Offline cannonmc

Is it possible to hijack Avast
« on: April 08, 2023, 12:07:29 PM »
Version: 22.9.6034 (build 22.9.7554.762)
Virus definition:  230407-0
UI Version: 1.0.757

Using Windows 7 32

I ask because a couple of nights ago I got what looked like a genuine Avast pop-up giving me three choices:
1 Update virus definitions
2 Update program
3 Update Windows

A bit unusual perhaps but I've been using Avast for many years. So I chose 1 but it wasn't until after I noticed the update date was for 7 May 2023. Everything seemed to freeze. I couldn't stop the pop-up. I tried to restart Windows but it just hung. Eventually I had to switch power off and then reboot.

It was only then that I noticed the computer date had been set at 7 May. Opened browser but every link was untrusted. Things were not working and eventually I had to power off again. BTW each time the Avast icon didn't appear in system tray. Things still not right so I did a system restore to four days previously.

Things seemed to return to my usual setting. After a further restart even Avast icon appeared and I carried on.

Sorry if this is a little vague but I was not thinking about noting everything down - panic! And the problems could be caused by something else but I had been doing nothing out of the ordinary. It was only after that I thought I had never got an Avast pop-up like that before

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is it possible to hijack Avast
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 01:07:59 PM »
Somewhat difficult to respond with so little information.

But the main question is in your title "Is it possible to hijack Avast."
I would never say never, but very difficult with all of the different components and the Avast Self-Defence module. 

However there is no stopping users being their own weak link, recently I have recently seen topics in the forum about Avast detecting vulnerable drivers/programs etc. these old drivers, etc. have vulnerabilities that can be exploited, but users seem not to want to do anything about it.

But just looking at your screenshot of Avast:
1 your Avast program version 'is' out of date (23.3 being the latest, but I don't know if Windows 7 is supported in that).
2 your virus definitions are a little out of date, mine - 230408-0.
3. you say you are using "Using Windows 7 32" (bit) but you don't say what its build number is, so it is very possible that too is out of date.  However I don't know if there are any Microsoft updates for win7 32bit as that may have reached end of life/support.  So I would advise checking if there is a windows update for your version.

So with all of the above, it is quite possible these warnings, from where ever they originate could be correct, but without screenshots of the warnings it is almost impossible to say.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cannonmc

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 11:07:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.
I did think while I was typing that I  really wasn't giving enough info but it's only after something happens you think screenshots and the like would have been useful.

It was only after I clicked on the message that I became suspicious. First because it said it was updating to definitions of 7 May. Second because I've never received that message before. Avast is about the only program I let update automatically. and third why would an AV program want to update my operating system.

Avast seems to have no problems with Win7 32 or 64, I have both. As for Windows being out of date, you bet. I got fed up with Microsoft trying to take over. (My main reason for not 'upgrading' to win10/11.)

But everything seems to be working now and nothing seems lost. Thanks again

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 12:36:27 PM »
You're welcome.

As the saying goes, 'when you are up to your ass in alligators the last thing on your mind is draining the swamp'.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security