Author Topic: Error when restoring files from the chest  (Read 4802 times)

allure

Error when restoring files from the chest
« on: December 31, 2007, 03:34:36 PM »
i am trying to restore some files from the chest and i get this error>>>

FileID: 0000000006  Program cannot copy the following file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll (Original filename: kernel32.dll )
--->Description: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

any help as to why iam getting this error i did a rescan on them in the chest file and there was no virus found but when i try to restore them i get the above msg, any help pls???

thank u
Allure

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Error when restoring files from the chest
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »
You will notice the avast chest is in three sections:

1. Infected Files, speaks for itself, any files detected by avast that you chose Move to Chest as the action.

2. System files, back-up copies of important system files. There are (generally) files in the System Folder of the Chest: command.com, kernel 32.dll and wsock32.dll. During the installation, avast! copies some critical system files into the Chest, under the "System files" category. Those files might cause the operating system to crash if they get infected by a virus. If needed, those files can be restored from the Chest to their original location. Should an unknown virus infect the computer despite the extensive protection from the avast! antivirus package and alter an important system file, it can then be easily restored to its original state.

3. User Files, an area for the user to import suspicious files that haven't been detected so they can do no harm and can be sent by email to Alwil for further analysis.

Why do you want to restore the file kernel32.dll?
The best things in life are free.

allure

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:52:58 PM »
its not that i want to restore only that specific file there is 3 other more that are no longer having virus so i wanted to restore them .... since i am having problem and not able to run system restore it keeps telling me>>> system restore is not able to protect your computer ...so since those chested file been there for sometime now and are no longer having any virus as i ran another scan and none was there ...thought of restoring them ,,,
as i thought maybe that is why iam not able to use my system restore cause maybe at a certain time it caught a virus and i put them in the chest but maybe it did a block to my system restore in window...any help in my problem ...thanks
allure

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 04:00:09 PM »
since those chested file been there for sometime now and are no longer having any virus as i ran another scan and none was there ...thought of restoring them
They are copy, backup. There is no need to restore them. The clean version is already being used (running).
Your problem with System Restore couldn't be related to that Chested files.
Can you post a little bit more about the problem, maybe a screenshot of the error message.

allure

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 05:18:15 PM »
screen shot of what errorr??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 08:02:13 PM »
screen shot of what errorr??

since i am having problem and not able to run system restore it keeps telling me>>> system restore is not able to protect your computer

allure

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 11:27:40 AM »
thats the msg it gives exactly>>>>QUOTE system restore is not able to protect your computer, please restart your computer and run system restore again UNQUOTE.

i do restart and the same msg comes if i want to make system restore,
baring in mind i looked for the system restore in the the adminstritive tools >> service and i cant find the system restore there ...

and if i try to go in safe mode it doesnt let me it says >>>recent hardware or software might have changed it , sorry could not start in safe mode . so that take me back to starting windows normally...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot

allure

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
thanks Techhhhh