Author Topic: MyIE2 Adware?!  (Read 18993 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
MyIE2 Adware?!
« on: March 12, 2004, 03:35:39 AM »
By Jeff Partridge

I wanted to pass along something that I came across that I feel must be mentioned along with any further review of the MyIE2 browser shell.

I was using MyIE2 as my browser shell of choice for some time. I've had to remove it, but not for any fault of that software. It's simply that I needed to run a cleaner shop for the antivirus review I'm doing.

That wasn't what has me generating this warning. The source of the warning has to do with something that comes along with MyIE2. That thing is a browser plugin called UCMore. I heartily advise against letting this plugin get installed. It's supposed to be merely a plugin that generates some clickable links on its toolbar having to do with sites that 'are kind of like' the one you've surfed to or seem to have some of the same content elements of that site. Instead, UCMore is much more like Alexa and other brands of filth called adware. In very fact, it actually USES the Alexa service to generate results. Then, whether you like it or not, it opens a completely separate IE window with what I assume to be a paid site 'relating' to the one you wanted to visit. This would be bad enough if it opened this unasked-for site as a MyIE2 tab, but it's a complete IE window that you have to close or it will remain open forever (or maybe until the next reboot). THIS makes it horribly annoying. The UCMore plugin is distributed as part of the MyIE2 distro and you're offered the choice of installing the offered plugins or not. The fact that this pernicious software is included without so much as a normal text mention, anywhere, of its invasive nature makes it something that people need to know before they try out MyIE2 and get aggravated, as I did. It also, in my opinion, makes it something that should NEVER be included in ANY software distribution.

It's lessened my appreciation of the author of MyIE2 and I'll think twice (or three times) before installing ANYTHING that comes along with MyIE2.
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

Re:MyIE2 Adware?!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 12:09:21 PM »
I needed good light internet browser. So, I never installed those stupid plug-ins, especially UCmore. I installed Flash save only, 'cause I need that plug-in sometimes, and I had it before in IE (under different name, though - SaveFlash).

I run HiJackThis, BHODemon, CWShredder, Rapid Blaster Killer, a2, Ad-Aware and Spybot - Search and Destroy... I don't have any problems with adware or spyware... When I was on IE before, my Ad-aware used to find all kinds of crap ever little, especially Alexa, but not now...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 12:10:47 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 02:25:04 PM »
Technical,i think its time that you switch to Mozilla/Opera. With these two browsers you'll never had problems with spayware anymore. IE6 is a bit better in SP2 pack,but still far from perfect (no tabs and so on).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 02:48:02 PM »
Mozilla Firefox disappointed me so much that I can not explain that... there is so much bugs in there, it's unbelievable !  >:(

Just open it and try to click at those arrows at the right hand side of address box (where you can choose between those addresses memorized into browser's cache). First time it just blinks, second time you are able to open that drop-down menu, but you are unable to click on any of those addresses in menu. You need to get out of there and click on address bar arrows third time to be able to select one of those cached addresses.

Second thing... very important. Have you ever tried to enter some text in this forum (let's say, when you wanna write post, just like I'm doing right now). Everything is OK, unless you have to go back somewhere in the middle of your post and add some smilies or some codes for BOLD, ITALIC, UNDERLINED text or you wanna place some link somewhere in the middle of that text... it's impossible. When you press one of those buttons (smilies, text properties, links, flash etc.) above this window where I type my text, smilie that you wanted to put in the middle, suddenly jumps at the end of the text... I hate fixing that every single time I have to put some smilie or something...

Conclusion - IE6 rules !!! Maybe, there are some bugs... well, most likely, but I used to browse internet without any problems. It's just little boring, GUI and everything, but it works, and that's the most important thing... you are able to browse.

I don't care 'cause MyIE or Mozilla are open sources... what's that mean ? It means that every single so-called-programmer can make some stupid plug-in for those browsers (even if it's full of bugs), and everyone should be happy... "YEAH, new plug-in !!!"

Why change something if it works quite good (not perfect, but it works) ?

Cheers !

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 03:53:44 PM »
sasha, mozilla 1.5 does the same thing with the smiles but I cant live without tab browsing and IE6 doesnt work on mac  :(. Mozilla is far more developed than firefox.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

shgoh

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 03:54:51 PM »
Mozilla Firefox disappointed me so much that I can not explain that... there is so much bugs in there, it's unbelievable !  >:(

hmm...i so sad to hear such a bad review for firefox...i have been using mozilla-based browsers for 2 years now...and they always work fine for me (though there are some minor bugs)...but like what you said..IE is not perfect too...firefox is a program...and programs are bound to have bugs...even avast has!!!...the good thing is that firefox & avast are continuing developing thus bugs are normally being fixed in their next release... :)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 04:27:24 PM »
hmm...i so sad to hear such a bad review for firefox... /-/ ...the good thing is that firefox & avast are continuing developing thus bugs are normally being fixed in their next release... :)

Well, someone must start with something... let's be real for the moment and not pretend that Firefox is perfect...

Partly true, and that's the biggest disappointment... avast! is the best software ever !!! They work on their bugs just like bees. Wonderful bunch of people (Alwil). If you complain on something regarding avast!, even something that is not so important, some minor-tiny-little bugie... they work immediately on fixing that.

Mozilla ? No one even responds on our requests, no one even gave us any answer regarding those few bugs... My post is in there (Mozilla's forum) and no one has replyed even once... I hate that. At least they could say: "OK, we are aware of those bugs, but at this point we don't have enough time to fix them..."

Nothing, like word of users is not important at all. That's the wrong way to treat users... IMHO

Cheers !
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 04:28:59 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

shgoh

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 06:59:17 AM »
Well, someone must start with something... let's be real for the moment and not pretend that Firefox is perfect...

firstly...no one here is pretending firefox is perfect...

Partly true, and that's the biggest disappointment... avast! is the best software ever !!! They work on their bugs just like bees. Wonderful bunch of people (Alwil). If you complain on something regarding avast!, even something that is not so important, some minor-tiny-little bugie... they work immediately on fixing that.

secondly...no one here complains about avast..

Mozilla ? No one even responds on our requests, no one even gave us any answer regarding those few bugs... My post is in there (Mozilla's forum) and no one has replyed even once... I hate that. At least they could say: "OK, we are aware of those bugs, but at this point we don't have enough time to fix them..."

Nothing, like word of users is not important at all. That's the wrong way to treat users... IMHO

Lastly...firefox works so well  (at least for me) and i don't even need to visit their forums... ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 01:17:51 PM »
shgoh wrote:
secondly...no one here complains about avast..

Can you tell me now, where did you find in my following paragraph that I said someone complains about avast! ?
The part "...if you complain..." is objective, it wasn't pointed at you. I didn't mean that you are complaining. Read it like this... If avast! users (including me) sometimes finds some bugs or cosmetic issues, we send constructive comments to Alwil. What I meant was, they are GREAT, they work immediately on fixing it. I have proof for that !  ;)

I must be stupid or blind, 'cause I can't find anything in that paragraph that says someone is complaining regarding avast!  ::)

shgoh wrote:
Lastly...firefox works so well  (at least for me) and i don't even need to visit their forums...  ;)

Well, I'm sure you have all those bugs in Firefox too, and no one can assure me it's system and configuration depending. It's in Firefox'es code and that's the fact, also they admitted it... They are aware of those bugs and aware that people are complaining about those, but the point is:

They don't want or they are unable to find some time to communicate with users and apparently they won't fix it soon...  8)

Alwil Software... they do communicate with their users and it should be example for everyone how things should work... Alwil Software is the best example how one software company shoul treat their users and forum visitors...

A way to go Alwil !!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 01:31:22 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

shgoh

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 04:10:02 PM »
ok ok....firefox suxzz...

let us not bring this browser war to avast forum... :)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 04:24:54 PM »
No, no, no... I didn't start any "war", especially 'cause I've been through ugly, ugly war... I hate that word... and I didn't say Firefox sucks, 'cause it doesn't sucks. That browser is very good browser though, but my point was - there is still much work to do on that application. What mostly pisses me off, it's not the browser itself (I use it very offten myself), but that transparent, almost unexisting support for users...

Don't get upset my friend...   :)

Cheers !
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 04:25:40 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

bbfi

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 08:07:59 PM »
Sasha,

I'm also sorry that you have had a problem with Firefox. To me it is the best browser period. However, I do understand your views about their forums and the programmers lack of answering problems. There is no reason for the members of the forum to be at times rude and unhelpful. That is shameful to say the least. There are some at the forum who do bend backward to help others. ;)

As far as the programmers go, there is actually just one, Ben Goodger, who has a lot more responsibilities than just programming. So, I can understand why some things don't get fixed immediately and sure there is a lot of complaining at the forums because of this. But a lot of that complaining is also due to people who don't know what they are doing just like those who put down Avast because they ran it without getting rid of Norton first, etc. and their computers got fouled up. ::)

The point of all of this is that I think that we should use what we feel is best for each one of us. If you like IE 6, use it. Most sites will look good in it, but you will be missing out on tab browsing. If you want to stick with IE based browsing and want tabs, go with MyIE2. It is the best IE based browser in my opinion.  :D

However, all IE based browsers are open to all of IE's security problems which are usually monthly and never are really fixed. Also, IE's problem with graphics not loading sometimes is a real turnoff for me (none of the fixes worked for me). Every time I go to a forum, half the time the small graphics don't show unless I do a refresh. Microsoft knows about this and does nothing to fix it. >:(

Let me just end my ranting with saying this, "The forum at Avast rules, there is none better. Firefox is still being developed and will get better, but it might not be for everyone. And war is ugly, no one likes it, but it does happen." :o
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 08:13:06 PM by bbfi »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 08:17:51 PM »
Why does nobody mention Opera browser which is very very good. I use it and its way batter than FireFox or IE. But if you need lightweight browser-only than Firefox is a good solution.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2004, 08:20:45 PM »
I started with Opera 7 (java included), but I switched to Firebird when I noticed noticeable increase in browsing speed...

Opera is good, but kinda slow...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004, 08:52:28 PM »
Slow!? Its the fastest browser of all!? Strange...