Author Topic: Avast renewed but my Program doesn't work now  (Read 2762 times)

Offline hannon31

Avast renewed but my Program doesn't work now
« on: April 16, 2023, 06:40:08 AM »
Hi,
My Avast yearly subscription just renewed this week (and was paid through paypal), and all of a sudden I am getting a message saying that my Avast Premier is unsecured. I go to the settings page to re-input my activation code ID, but it says it cannot insert the license. It also shows that my auto-renewal is enabled, so I do not know why my Avast program is not secured, if my auto-renewal is on. This has never happened before. It always renewed automatically and I did not have a shutdown of my program. What can I do to get it working properly again ? Has this happened to anyone before ?
Thanks in advance for any help !

Offline hannon31

Re: Avast renewed but my Program doesn't work now
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 10:38:40 PM »
Is it possible that this problem is a false negative? Because when I turn on the program, it still updates both automatically and manually, and I get pop-ups as well, telling me that they have protected me from possible mal. So it seems to still be working, but it still tells me that my license has expired, and that the program is unsecured. Support told me to put in my subscription ID again which I did, and the problem is still there. I'm still waiting to hear back from support again, but I was hoping somebody on the forum would give me some insight and or help.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 12:00:08 AM »

Offline hannon31

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 01:13:33 AM »
Thank you for the reply ! However, my Avast Premium is running on a XP computer (and has been doing so wonderfully since 2014), so the page you linked was only for Windows 7 and up. Can I do a repair on XP ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 01:37:59 AM »
Thank you for the reply ! However, my Avast Premium is running on a XP computer (and has been doing so wonderfully since 2014), so the page you linked was only for Windows 7 and up. Can I do a repair on XP ?

Well XP is certainly Windows 7 and up.

You don't say what Avast version and build number you are using with WinXP  ?
As far as I can remember the last supported version of Avast for WinXP was Avast 18.8.

So the repair function should still be there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline hannon31

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 05:04:03 AM »
Hello, and thanks for the reply.

My version is Avast Premier 230416-6
build 18.8.4084.409

As far as I know, that was the very last updated version for XP.

And until yesterday, it worked with no problems. As soon as my renewal paid up, it went awry. It keeps telling me my license expired, yet support acknowledges that they have received my usual yearly subscription payment, and my license is fine. They told me to re-insert the activation ID, which I did, but it still gives me the same error message. I have yet to hear back from support, at this point.

Now, I get a nice red x, on my task bar, saying my system is unsecured. So, I don't know what to do ?

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 08:39:40 AM »

Pretty sure XP came before 7 ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 01:24:26 PM »

Pretty sure XP came before 7 ;)

Correct brain fade ;)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline hannon31

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 05:42:40 AM »
So how do I go about repairing ?  ;)

Offline Tangy

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 01:47:33 AM »
hannon31 : License renewal of Avast on windows xp is kaput, broken. You'll have to do a clean install using avast uninstall tool ( avastclear.exe for XP)
You can get it here :
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=322300.msg1698650#msg1698650
provided by DavidR reply 1.
Run the avastclear which will promt you to safe mode. Then follow the instructions. Takes a bit of time to uninstall. Then go here to get your avast installer
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.0
Also read this
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.285
Cheers
PS: Avast Repair won't do it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 01:49:17 AM by Tangy »
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

Offline Tangy

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 02:26:13 AM »
By the way, should you wish to repair your Avast in the future then
Start > control panel > Add/Remove > Avast > change /Remove. Click on remove. This will give you the option to repair. Change will give the option to modify Avast
Cheers
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

Offline hannon31

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 09:36:50 AM »
What I don't understand is why, after my auto-renewal went through and was paid out, like it does every year, my system experienced this problem ?
I have been using Avast on my XP computer, from 2014 up until now. Yes, I know the support had stopped, but it still worked, and protected, and updated, and ran with no issues, keeping my system safe, even though it was not updated with the latest features, etc.
It still worked flawlessly until April 14th, and after the renewal, on the 15th, it became 'unsecure'.
Even now, it is still updating the virus definitions, and popping up if I come across any questionable or possible malware sites (I know a few sites where that always happened, so I checked to see if Avast would still notify me if I went to them, and it did). So, it seems to be still working, other than having that big red X on my taskbar, saying my system is unsecured, and not letting me input my activation ID.
When I check my Windows security, it tells me my firewall is on, and my virus protection is also on.
So I'm kinda confused at all this.
Not really sure which way to go.

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2023, 01:29:01 PM »
Hi hannon31,

Thank you for reporting this, and we apologize for the confusion. We're looking into your support request and we will keep you posted.

Offline hannon31

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2023, 04:20:23 AM »
Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate that.
All I want is to be able to activate my program ID, like usual, and to have my system secured once again.
Thanks for looking into this for me!

Offline susigoodness

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2023, 06:04:15 PM »
Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate that.
All I want is to be able to activate my program ID, like usual, and to have my system secured once again.
Thanks for looking into this for me!
I have a similar situation, thank you very much.