Author Topic: # Just to Tjeck if avast! 4.6 Free is OK #  (Read 4184 times)

Jorn

# Just to Tjeck if avast! 4.6 Free is OK #
« on: January 01, 2008, 03:51:16 PM »
Hallo I have just downloaded avast! 4.6 Free, and Believe all is well.

But since I do not know AVAST so good I better ask the Forum:

There was 3 files in the Box :  kernel 32.dll + winsock.dll + wsock32.dll
(Who also was in System files)

Is those 3 files supposed to be there - And harmless?

... No infected files with a Pirat Head !
(Guess all bad files end this place..?)

I might add that I was first thinken of AVG - But read AVAST was better.

Hope it is correct ...?!
 ;)

(Kind of funny both are located in The Czech Republic)

Greetings to you all and Jolly 2008
Jorn in Denmark

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: # Just to Tjeck if avast! 4.6 Free is OK #
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »
You will notice the avast chest is in three sections:

1. Infected Files, speaks for itself, any files detected by avast that you chose Move to Chest as the action.

2. System files, back-up copies of important system files. There are (generally) files in the System Folder of the Chest: command.com, kernel 32.dll and wsock32.dll. During the installation, avast! copies some critical system files into the Chest, under the "System files" category. Those files might cause the operating system to crash if they get infected by a virus. If needed, those files can be restored from the Chest to their original location. Should an unknown virus infect the computer despite the extensive protection from the avast! antivirus package and alter an important system file, it can then be easily restored to its original state. As you can see, this is your case.

3. User Files, an area for the user to import suspicious files that haven't been detected so they can do no harm and can be sent by email to Alwil for further analysis.

There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.
The best things in life are free.

Jorn

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 05:08:05 PM »
Hallo Tech !

Thank you for Quick reply ...

I leave kernel32.dll + winsock.dll + wsock.32.dll in the Chest then ... now that I know all is OK !

:D
Nice of you to explain it to me.
Best Wishes
Jorn

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 05:49:04 PM »
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help you just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.