Author Topic: Poor VPN Performance  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Philip209

Poor VPN Performance
« on: April 21, 2023, 02:16:26 AM »
I've subscribed to Avast VPN for several years now but never really considered the performance aspect until this year. As a result of a deathly slow internet several months ago, which was referred to the Avast support team, I became aware that switching locations could improve things from unacceptable (1 Mbps download speed) to barely adequate (30-40 Mbps). I came away from the call troubled that there's aparently no active monitoring of server locations by Avast, as they were as surprised by the Jacksonville FL speed as I was. 

Now I run speed tests daily, so I can switch between Miami, Jacksonville and Atlanta as necessary. This is a nuisance. The download speeds are usually in the 30 - 60 Mbps range. But on a whim, I ran the speed test (gospeedcheck.com) on my work laptop, which connects to the same WiFi box as my pc, and was astonished that the download speed was well in excess of 300 Mbps. This is using an industry VPN, GlobalProtect. Is my consumer loyalty to Avast misplaced? I've used their Antivirus product for a decade, I never really evaluated the VPN in terms of competitors. Am I paying for a grossly subpar product? 

Offline Philip209

Re: Poor VPN Performance
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 05:41:37 AM »
Since posting this, I examined the VPN settings, and changed the protocol from WireGuard to Automatic, and reran the speed test, and it jumped up considerably to 275 Mbps. I will continue to monitor, but it could be this allows me to access much faster connectivity speeds. 

PS. The Verification tool for posting here sucks. If an actual human can't read the letters clearly, its a waste of everyone's time.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 12:11:11 PM »
Since posting this, I examined the VPN settings, and changed the protocol from WireGuard to Automatic, and reran the speed test, and it jumped up considerably to 275 Mbps. I will continue to monitor, but it could be this allows me to access much faster connectivity speeds. 

PS. The Verification tool for posting here sucks. If an actual human can't read the letters clearly, its a waste of everyone's time.

It is only there for your first 3 posts and you have crossed that barrier.

As far as I'm aware it is meant as an anti spam measure.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline robth

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 09:53:34 AM »
Hi Philip209, I am having similar problems of very low download speed. I am in the UK and connect to Australia and I've never had any problems until the last week. It is impossible to watch anything because of buffering. Having read your post I will have a look at the VPN settings that you changed to see if that helps.