Author Topic: Date Shredder Not Showing Files  (Read 1069 times)

Offline FishBoy1

Date Shredder Not Showing Files
« on: May 04, 2023, 04:15:04 PM »
When attempting to shred files, nothing is showing up in the files window. I get the same result when trying to shred a single file or the recycle bin. THis just started happening within the last week.

Windows 11   Avast Premium Security 23.4.6062 (build 23.4.8118.762)

Offline crosstalk

Re: Date Shredder Not Showing Files
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 11:11:19 PM »
Exactly the same happening to me, definitely a bug, just started happening with the last program update, I know because I use the shredder almost on a daily basis. Avast probably knows by now, I had a help session with them and they could not fix it after like two hours of remote controlling my computer, what a waste of time!

Offline FishBoy1

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 11:39:01 PM »
I was able to repair under the uninstall option, but it doesnt last. It seems to work once after the repair, then it goes back to no files showing.

Offline scgilbert777

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 02:22:24 AM »
You can add me to this group.  All I get is a blank page when I open Data shredder....regardless whether I open directly or if trying to shred a file.   Just since the update.  Please fix asap as I use frequently with work.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 05:22:15 AM »
I wonder if any of you run Data Shredder on an SSD?

If so, and if it operates like a typical shredder for HDD, you can't really be sure the data is gone.
The SSD will just shuffle bits of the data around in processes called wear leveling and TRIM.
This happens on a deep hardware level. How the SSD presents the file system, the OS can't tell.

Typically a shredder will wipe data by overwriting it many times with different patterns.
On an SSD, the processes mentioned prevent this. The SSD writes each pass to a different location.
This means the data is likely still there, and you're also wearing out the SSD faster for no good reason.

You'd have to do a secure wipe to clear all data from an SSD. I doubt Avast can do a partial secure wipe.
If it does, that would be awesome. But it is unlikely. I'm not sure it is even possible.

A secure wipe will encrypt the whole drive and zero out every cell. It then looks like an empty 'new' drive.
To prevent having to reinstall everything, you could use imaging software to backup and restore.