Author Topic: Windows Security Issues  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Tiago11

Windows Security Issues
« on: May 04, 2023, 10:53:52 PM »
Hi.
I have bought recently Avast Premium Security.

Nevertheless, today the following appeared in my windows security.

In portuguese, my native language: a proteção da autoridade de segurança local. o dispositivo poderá estar vulnerável
In english: "Isolation of the kernel - the protection of the local security authority. The device may be vulnerable"

Could it be caused by the antivirus itself?
Is it solvable? Does it need solving?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Security Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 11:37:33 PM »
I was wondering if it migh be that Windows Defender is still enabled - Microsoft is meant to disable it when you install a 3rd party Antivirus.

I hadn't heard of this before, so I did a google search on it - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Isolation+of+the+kernel+-+the+protection+of+the+local+security+authority.+The+device+may+be+vulnerable

This is one of the hits - https://superuser.com/questions/1782343/local-security-authority-protection-missing-from-settings-device-security-core
Answer 1 may be a resolution:
Quote from: extract
This will update Windows Defender to a version that no longer has this issue (1.0.2303.27001)(KB5007651)
It refers to an updating an outdated version of 'Windows Defender' but that was on Windows 11, but could possibly relate to Windows 10 (I don't know as you didn't mention what OS version you have).

The errors mention of device being 'vulnerable' could well mean out of date:
"Isolation of the kernel - the protection of the local security authority. The device may be vulnerable"

Since you have Installed Avast, have you restarted your system (full shutdown and restart), if so presumably this worked OK for a while  ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tiago11

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 08:15:32 AM »
Good morning, sorry for taking a while but the day had already gone when i sent the previous message.

My computer is using w11.
I have installed the free version of avast a long time ago, the paid version only this week. I've never noticed until yesterday that message from windows defender, it's recent.
I've restarted the computer since then.

In the link you sent I ran the command in windows powershell yet the problem remains the same.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 12:37:11 PM »
Another Avast user has tried to attract some Avast attention via another means.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tiago11

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 12:43:01 PM »
I'm sorry?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 01:15:44 PM »
I'm sorry?

What for, nothing to be sorry about, you are trying to resolve a problem.

My comment is just notifying you another Avast user has tried to attract attention to 'your' topic.

Offline ziolowymichal

• I am a person who values a healthy lifestyle.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 10:07:15 AM »
Typically, this message indicates a potential vulnerability or issue with the Windows operating system's security settings. It's a built-in feature that aims to protect your device from security threats. While it doesn't necessarily indicate a problem caused by Avast, it's still worth investigating to ensure your device's security.

To address the issue, you can try the following steps:

Run a full system scan with Avast Premium Security to ensure there are no malware or security threats present on your computer.
Make sure your Avast antivirus is up to date with the latest virus definitions and program version.
Check for Windows updates and install any available updates for your operating system.
Restart your computer to see if the issue persists after the reboot.
If the problem continues, you may want to seek assistance from the Avast support team or the Windows support forums for further troubleshooting steps.
Remember, it's always essential to keep your antivirus software and operating system up to date to ensure the best protection against potential threats.