Author Topic: OneDrive fake file-share?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline a_vast

OneDrive fake file-share?
« on: May 09, 2023, 12:33:24 AM »
Hi,

Received a OneDrive invitation to share / open a file.

But the link looks suspicious.

It's from icompetenatural[dot]co[dot]nz/oneive/auth[dot]html

& it says 'oneive' instead of OneDrive.

What do you think please?

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: OneDrive fake file-share?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 12:52:37 AM »
Whilst I have no direct knowledge of this what appears to be a scam.

There have been other such scams would in effect allow access and possible control over your OneDrive account.

I think that you are correct in thinking it suspicious.  I don't know if you have every had an interest in "New Zealand’s Premier Natural, Drug Tested Federation." which is from/where that url originates.

Whilst I think it would be reasonable for you to let someone you knew and invite/allow access to your OneDrive account. but it seems different to this use.

Also that site has lots of external links - plus it has some security issues - https://en.internet.nl/site/icompetenatural.co.nz/2079978/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline a_vast

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 03:58:12 PM »
Thanks,

I have no interest in New Zealand’s Premier Natural, Drug Tested Federation, & the apparent sender lives in the UK.

Also, note that the word 'OneDrive' does not appear in the url.

I don't use Microsoft OneDrive, I avoid this company wherever possible, I find them intrusive; a nuisance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 05:48:53 PM »
Thanks,

I have no interest in New Zealand’s Premier Natural, Drug Tested Federation, & the apparent sender lives in the UK.

Also, note that the word 'OneDrive' does not appear in the url.

I don't use Microsoft OneDrive, I avoid this company wherever possible, I find them intrusive; a nuisance.

You're welcome.

1. I thought not either, but I try not to speculate.

2. I did notice that, however typos are common and not just to deceive.

3. Snap I avoid it like the plague - I don't use any online storage service - I prefer to do that too off-line SSD, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security