Author Topic: False Positive? This Very Established Video Editing Software Gets Alert  (Read 1676 times)

Offline David1131

Hi,

Trying to download very well established and known video editing software Capcut from https://www.capcut.com/ but Avast stops it, gives an alert, and blocks access.

Also found these two Reddits on the topic specifically only for Avast and Capcut (not other anti-viruses), but with no resolution.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CapCut/comments/13aa04x/wanted_to_download_and_the_site_was_detected_as_a/
https://www.reddit.com/r/CapCut/comments/z04311/av_detecting_my_capcut_download_as_a_virus/

How to remedy?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
1.  A screenshot would have been helpful (with the Details option selected) as to why it is blocked.

2.  you can use  -  Reporting a Possible False Positive File or Website - https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php.
You should get a response in a day or two.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline David1131

Hello!

Screenshot is attached.

I did submit the False Positive form which I found shortly after my opening post, though no reply yet.

Edit: Sorry I uploaded the wrong screenshot for another site QuickVid and I informed the owner of that site directly as I know him. Uploading the correct screenshot now for Capcut

« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 01:29:28 PM by David1131 »

Offline David1131

As an update, I downloaded Capcut from the Microsoft Store instead of the official Capcut website, and it downloaded and installed fine. Not sure if that's a resolution or if I should still be careful of Capcut, or if it's a false positive.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Were they both the same version/build number for both download  ?

You didn't select the Details option in your screenshot
Since the Web Shield blocked the if the problem still exists you could try to download again.

However, from your screenshot it isn't the main hXXps://wXw.capcut.com/ location but a sub-directory of faceulv.com, so it may be that domain that is the issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline David1131

Thanks David R!  Anyway Avast has "now cleared its reputation in our database based on the findings and removed the detection" in reply to my False Positive submission.

The weird thing is that when I do go back to Capcut to download, it downloads the file directly and no longer goes through that sub-directory of faceulv.com. 

So we I don't know if that faceluv was indeed malicious and it's fixed now, or if there indeed was a false positive by Avast earlier.

Regardless, the issue is resolved now.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thanks David R!  Anyway Avast has "now cleared its reputation in our database based on the findings and removed the detection" in reply to my False Positive submission.

The weird thing is that when I do go back to Capcut to download, it downloads the file directly and no longer goes through that sub-directory of faceulv.com. 

So we I don't know if that faceluv was indeed malicious and it's fixed now, or if there indeed was a false positive by Avast earlier.

Regardless, the issue is resolved now.

You're welcome.

Yes it looks like it was more the location rather program.